Document Type: Original Articles
Shiraz Geriatric Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences ,Shiraz,Iran
Health policy research center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Shiraz Geriatric Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Biostatistic , Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Pediatric, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background: The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of depression symptoms and the effect of various demographic characteristics on its severity in an elderly population in Fars province, southern Iran. Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted during May and September 2009. A sample of 1461 men and women, aged more than 60 years were selected using a multistage stratified random sampling method. Levels of depression symptoms were measured using the Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS). Data were analyzed using SPSS software. Also, analysis of variance (ANOVA) and correlation analysis were performed to find the correlation between the variables and GDS score. Results: Overall, 1443 people completed the questionnaire. The prevalence of the symptoms mild to moderate depression (GDS: 5-10) was 51.1%, while that of severe depression symptoms (GDS >10) was 19.7%. There were significant relationships between sex, marital status, educational level, occupation, residential place and the GDS scores. Conclusion: The prevalence of depression symptoms was high among the elderly in Fars Province. Therefore, if properly trained, primary care teams could help these patients.
- WHO (EMRO). Regional strategy for health
- care of the elderly in Eastern Mediterranean
- region 2005.http:// www.emro.who.int/dsaf/
- Mostafavi F,Abedi H,Mohd H.Condition
- Affecting the Elderly Primary Health Care in
- Urban Health Care Centers of Iran.Research
- Journal of Medical Sciences 2009; 3(6):
- Chattat R, Ellena L, Cucinotta D, SavoraniaG,
- Mucciarelli G. A study on the validity of different
- short versions of the Geriatric Depression
- Scale. Arch Gerontol Supple2001; 7: 81â86.
- Akiskal HS. Mood disorders: historical
- introduction and conceptual overview.
- Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry. 8th
- edition. Edited by:Sadok VA. Philadelphia,
- Williams and Wilkins, 2005; 1552-1572.
- Djernes JK. Prevalence and predictors of
- depression in populations of elderly: a review.
- ActaPsychiatScand 2006; 113(5):327-87.
- Blay SL, Andreoli SB, Fillenbaum GG, Gastal.
- Depression morbidity in latter life: prevalence
- and correlates in a developing country. Am J
- Geriatr Psychiatry2007; 15(9):790-9.
- ZubenkoG S ,Mulsant B H ,Sweet R
- A,Pasterbak R E , Tu X M. Mortality of elderly
- patients with psychiatric disorders.Am J
- Psychiat 1997; 154: 1360-1368.
- Penninx BW, Geerling SW, Deeg DJ. Minor
- and major depression and the risk of death
- in older persons. Arch Gen Psychiatry1999;
- Tylee A , K atona C L E . D etecting a nd
- managing depression in older people. Br J
- Gen Pract1996; 46(405): 207-208.
- Unutzer J, Patrik D L, Simon G. Depressive
- symptoms and cost of health services in
- HMO patients aged 65 years and older:
- A 4 yearâs prospective study. JAMA 1997;
- Katon W J, Schoenbaum M, Fan M Y. Cost
- effectiveness of improving primary care
- treatment of late depression. Arch Gen
- Psychiatr 2005; 62(12):1313-1320.
- Tylee A, Freeling Kerry S, Burns T. How
- does the content of consultations affect the
- recognition by general practitioners of major
- depression in Women? Br J Gen Pract 1995;
- (400): 575-581.
- Cattell H, Jolly DJ .One hundred cases of
- suicides in elderly people.Brit J Psychiat1995;
- : 451-457.
- Sulaiman A, Al-Shammari, Abdulla
- Al-Subaie. Prevalence and correlates of
- depression among Saudi elderly. Int J Geriat
- Psychiatry1999; 14: 739-747.
- Sheikh J L, Yesavage J A. Geriatric
- Depression Scale (GDS): recent evidence and
- development of a shorter version.ClinGerontol
- ;5: 165â173.
- Vinkers D J, Gussekloo J, Stek M L,
- Westendorp R G, Van Der Mast R C. The
- -item Geriatric Depression Scale detects
- changes in depressive symptoms after a major
- negative life event. The Leiden 85-plus Study.
- Int JGeriatr Psychiatry 2004; 19: 80â84.
- Gori C, Appollonio I, Riva G P, Spiga D, Ferrari
- A , Trabucchi M . Using a single question to
- screen for depression in the nursing home.
- Arch GerontolGeriatrSuppl 1998; 6: 235â240.
- Cheng S, Chan A C M, A brief version of the
- Geriatric Depression Scale for the Chinese.
- Psychol Assess 2004; 16: 182â186.
- Malakouti SK, Fatollahi P, Mirabzadeh A,
- Salavati M, Zandi T. Reliability, Validity and
- factor structure of the GDS-15 in Iranian
- elderly. Int J Geriatr psychiatry2006; 21:
- Javadpour A, Mehri E. Depressive symptoms
- among Iranian elderly inpatients: prevalence
- and correlates. Indian journal of gerontology
- ; 27 (1): 29-37.
- Beekman AT, Copeland JR, Prince MJ. Review
- of community prevalence of depression in
- later life. Br J Psychiatr 1999;174:307-11
- Ganguli M, Dube S, M.Johnston J, Pandav R,
- Chandera V, Dodge H. Depressive symptoms,
- Cognitive impairment and Functional
- impairment in a rural elderly population in
- India .IntJ Geriat psychiatry 1999; 14: 807-820.
- MuiA C. Geriatric Depression Scale as a
- community screening instrument for elderly
- Chinese immigrants. IntPsychogeriat1996;
- Liu CY, Wang SJ, Teng EL, Fuh JL, Lin CC,
- Lin KN, et al. Depressive disorders among
- older residents in a Chinese rural community.
- Psychol Med1997; 27(4):943-949.
- Palsson SP, Ostling S, Skoog I. The incidence
- of first-unset depression in a population
- fallowed from the age of 70-85.Psychol
- Moradi F, Joulaei H, Saffari M, Zare N, Fallah Zadeh MH
- J Health Sci Surveillance Sys July 2013; Vol 1; No 1
- Med2001; 31:1159-1168.
- Wang JJ. Prevalence and correlates of
- depressive symptoms in the elderly of rural
- Communities in Southern Taiwan. J Nurs
- Res2001;9: 1-12.
- Rozzini R, Boffelli S, Franzoni S, Frisoni
- GB, Trarucchi M. Prevalence and predictors
- of depressive symptoms in a nursing home.
- Int J Geriater Psychiatry 2006; 11: 629-634.
- Cole MG, Dendukuri N. Risk factors for
- depression among elderly community subjects:
- a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am
- J psychiatry 2003; 160(6):1147-1156.
- Abolfotouh MA, Daffallah A A, Khan MY.
- Psychosocial assessment of geriatric subjects
- in Abha City .Saudi Arabia .East Mediator
- Health J2002; 7:481-491.
- Stek ML, Gussekloo J, Beekman ATF, Van
- Tilburg W, Westendorp RGI. Prevalence,
- correlates and recognition of depression in
- the oldest old: The Leiden 85-plus study. J
- Affect Disor2004; 78:192-200.
- Woo J, Ho SC, Wong EM. Depression is
- the predominant factor contributing to moral
- as measured by the Philadelphia Geriatric
- Morale Scale in elderly Chinese aged 70
- years and over. Int J Greiatr Psychiatry 2005;