Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Midwifery, Ahvaz
Jundishapur University of Medical
Sciences, Arvand International branch,
Reproductive Health Promotion
Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur
University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz,
Reproductive Health Promotion
Research Center, Department of
Midwifery, Ahvaz Jundishapur University
of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran;
Reproductive Health Promotion
Research Center, Faculty of Health,
Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical
Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Background: Preconception counseling is preventive medicine in obstetrics. Preconception care creates an opportunity for examining conditions before pregnancy improving pregnancy outcome. This study was conducted with the aim of determining the adaptation rate of preconception care with the national standards at health care centers, Ahvaz, 2014.Methods: This descriptive study was conducted at health care centers in 2013 selected randomly. The samples of the study included 385 women at their fertility age who came to receive health services. Researcher observed simultaneous care and filled the related forms. The data were analyzed using the descriptive statistic SPSS version 19.Results: Results showed that the presented preconception care as to the case history section was weak for 14.3% of the cases, medium for 42.3% and desirable for the remainders (43.4%). In addition, presented preconception care at test’s section was weak for 38.4% of the cases, medium for 50.1% and desirable for 11.4%. Presented preconception care at exam’s section was weak in 82.3%, medium in 16.9%, and desirable in 0.8%. Presented preconception care at immunization’s section was weak in 42.3% of cases, medium in 43.1%, and desirable in 14.5%. As to resented preconception care at education’s section, it was weak in 81.6% of the cases, medium in 13.8%, and desirable adaptation with the standard guidelines of country in 4.7%. 84.9% of women were completely satisfied with centers, 11.9% relatively satisfied, and just 3.3% were dissatisfied.Conclusion: Presented preconception care at health care centers is not in the same line with the national standard; thus, a more accurate control is needed.
- Shahidi S, Aghdak P, Farajzadegan Z, Izadi M,
- Mohammadi M, Nikkhah Fard M. Reviewing the
- effectiveness of pre-pregnancy counseling protocol
- on pregnancy and labor indices. Iran J Nurse Midwifery
- Res 2011 Autumn; 16(4): 265-72. PMCID: PMC358309
- Nekuoee N, Davazdahemami Sh. Experience of health
- worker on diabetic women before fertilization. Iran
- medical university 1389; 23(65): 23-32. Downloaded
- from http://journals.tums.ac.ir/ at 11:14 IRDT on Friday
- August 2nd 2013 .(In Persian).
- Impact of Pre-Conception Health Care: Evaluation of
- a Social Determinants Focused Intervention. Maternal
- and Child Health J 2010; 14(3): 382-91. DOI: 10.1007/
- Shahidi Sh, Aghdac P, Izadi M. Effect of performance
- of preconception care on women awareness. Medical
- science journal 1389; 10(5): 525-32. http://journals.
- mui.ac.ir. (In Persian).
- Johnson K, Posner SF, Biermann J, Cordero JF, Atrash
- H, Parker Ch, et al. Recommendations to improve
- preconception health and health care United States. A
- report of the CDC/ATSDR Preconception Care Work
- Group and the Select Panel on Preconception. MMWR
- Recomm Rep 2006; 55(RR-6): 1-23. DOI: 10.1007/
- Rezasoltani P, Parsaie S. Mother and infant health
- Book. . 2005; 2 th ed.(In Persian).
- Metteterp N. Labour pain in relation to fetal weight in
- pimipara. Obstet Gynecol J 2001; 99: 195-8.
- La Merrill M, Stein C, Landrigan P, Engel S,
- Savitz D. Pre pregnancy body mass index, smoking
- during pregnancy, and infant birth weight. Am
- Epidemiology 2011 June; 21(6): 413-20. DOI:10.1016/j.
- Wise L, Heffner L, Rosenberg L, Palmer J. pre
- pregnancy body size, gestational weight gain, and
- risk of preterm birth in African- American Women.
- Epidemiology 2010 March; 21(2): 243-52. DOI:10.1097/
- EDE.0b013e3181cb61a9. PMCID: PMC3154020
- NIHMSID: NIHMS311873.
- Seshadri S, Oakeshott P, Nelso Piercy C, Chappell
- L. Pre pregnancy Care. BMJ 2012; 344: e 3467. DOI:
- 1136/bmj.e3467 (Published 31 May 2012)
- Murphy H, Roland J, Skinner T, Gurnell E, Morrish N,
- Kelly S. Effectiveness of Regional Pre pregnancy care
- Program In women with type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Care 2010; 33: 2514-20. DOI: 10.2337/
- Redaly U, Laughon S, Sun L, Troendle G, Willinger M,
- Zhang J. Per pregnancy Risk Factors For Antepartum
- Stillbirth In The United States. Obstet Gynecol
- November; 116(5): 1119-26. DOI: 10.1097/
- AOG.0b013e3181f903f8. PMCID: PMC3326407.
- NIHMSID: NIHMS362729.
- Hughes S, chambers C, Kassem N, Wahlgren D,
- Hovell M, Larson S, et al. Inconsistent Report of
- pre-pregnancy- Recognition Alcohol Use Latinas.
- Matern child Health J 2009; 13: 857-64. DOI:10.1007/
- Staples J, Ponsoby A, Lim L. Low maternal exposure
- to ultraviolet radiation in pregnancy, month of birth,
- and risk of multiple sclerosis in offspring: longitudinal
- analysis. BMJ 2010; 340: c1640. DOI:10.1136/bmj.
- c1640. PMCID: PMC2862149.
- Nour N. An Introduction to Maternal Mortality. Rev
- Obstet Gynecol 2008 Spring; 1(2): 77â81. PMCID:
- PMC2505173. Solutions Group
- Souza JP, Cecatti JG, Faundes A, Morais S, Villar
- J, Carroli G, et al. Maternal near miss and maternal
- death in the World Health Organizationâs 2005 global
- survey on maternal and perinatal health. Bull World
- Health Organ 2010; 88(2): 113-9. DOI: org/10.1590/
- Ronsmans C, Graham WJ. Maternal mortality: Who,
- When, Where, and Why. Lancet 2006; 368(9542): 1189-
- DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69380-X. 18 Pre pregnancy counseling. Fars Medical Science
- University. Available at: http://www.sums.com.
- Accessed May 29, 2014. (In Persian).
- Oumap P, Eijk A, Hamel M, Sikuku E, Odhiambo F,
- Munguti K, et al. Antenatal and delivery care in rural
- western Kenya: the effect of training health care workers
- to provide âfocused antenatal careâ. Reproductive
- Health 2010; 7: 1. DOI:10.1186/1742-4755-7-1.
- Izadi S, Eftekhari M, Vatanparast Z, Delshadgholami
- G, Zarei L. The effect of increase in preconception
- care quality for decreasing of death fetus. Mashhad
- Medical Science University. Available at: http://www.
- mums.com.2010.(In Persian).
- Population and family health. Tehran Medical Science
- University. Available at: http://www.tums.com.
- Accessed March 6, 2014. (In Persian).
- Freda M, Moos M, Curtis M. The History of
- Preconception Care: Evolving Guidelines and
- Standards. Matern Child Health J 2006; 10: S43 S52.
- Hajavi A, Sarbaz M, Moradi N. Medical document
- (3,4) Book; 2002; 1 th ed. Jahanyarane nashr:75-77.
- (In Persian).
- Jahanishuorab N, Ghafarisardasht F, Jafarinezhad F.
- The review process of preconception care according
- donabedin model at Mashhad therapeutic health center.
- IJOGI 2013; 16(53): 7-17. (In Persian).
- Farzandipoor M, Asefzadeh S, Rabeei R. Assessment
- of consideration on the importance of medical records
- department standards of Kashan hospital. Scientific
- Information Database (SID) 2006; 10(3): 28-33. (In
- Oladapo OT, Iyaniwura CA, Sule-Odu AO. Quality of
- antenatal services at the primary care level in southwest
- Nigeria. Afr J Reprod Health 2008 Dec; 12(3): 71-92.