Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Environmental Health
Engineering, School of Health, Student
Research Committee, Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran;
Department of Environmental Health
Engineering, School of Health,
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,
Research Center for Health Sciences,
Department of Environmental Health,
School of Health, Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran;
Background: Atrazine is one of the most widely used triazine herbicides which has been used for controlling broadleaf and grassy weeds for many years. Its widespread use in water has caused environmental concern because of frequent detection of atrazine in aquatic systems where this herbicide has been spilled. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to determine the herbicide removal efficiency at the optimal conditions. Methods: The effect of different parameters including pH at three different levels (3-11), the initial concentration of atrazine at three different levels (0.1-10 mg/L), and reaction time at five different levels (0-120 min) on the removal of atrazine in the aqueous phase using ultraviolet radiation (1020 μw/cm2) was investigated. Finally, the data were analyzed using SPSS software (version 16). Results: The results demonstrated that atrazine removal rate increased by increasing pH, initial atrazine concentration, and reaction time. The maximum rate of atrazine removal (99.2%) at optimal condition occurred in pH=11, atrazine concentration=10 mg/L at 30 min. Conclusion: According to the findings, it can be concluded that the UV-A process is an effective and commodious method for reducing atrazine in polluted water resources.
- Bahena CL, Martinez SS. Photodegradation of
- chlorbromuron, atrazine, and alachlor in aqueous
- systems under solar irradiation. International Journal
- of Photoenergy 2006; 1-6.
- Mamian M, Torres W, Larmat FE. Electrochemical
- Degradation of Atrazine in Aqueous Solution at a
- Platinum Electrode. Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta
- ; 27(3): 371-9.
- Dinesh Babu J, Alugoju P, Undru B, Thupakula S,
- Bhavatharini S, Latha P. Effects of Short Term Exposure
- of Atrazine on the Liver and Kidney of Normal and
- Diabetic Rats. J Toxicol 2014; 2014: 536759.
- Hu S, Liu G, Zhu D, Chen C, Liao S. Synthesis,
- Characterization, and Evaluation of Boron-Doped
- Iron Oxides for the Photocatalytic Degradation of
- Atrazine under Visible Light. International Journal of
- Photoenergy 2012; 1-4.
- Dehghani M, Nasseri N, Amin SA, Zamanian Z.
- Assessment of atrazine distribution in Shiraz soils,
- south of Iran. Pak J Biol Sci 2010; 13(2): 66-72.
- Dehghani M, Nasseri S, Amin S, Naddafi K, Taghavi
- M, Yunosian M, et al. Isolation and Identification of
- Atrazine-degrading Bacteria from Corn Field Soil in
- Fars Province of Iran. Pak J Biol Sci 2007; 10(1): 84-7.
- Luhua Z, Haiwei C, Yanlan L, Yanan L, Shengjun
- W, Jinping S, et al. Evaluation of the Agronomic
- Performance of Atrazine-Tolerant Transgenic japonica
- Rice Parental Lines for Utilization in Hybrid Seed
- Production. P LoS One 2014; 9(10).
- Wei Liu, Yanwei Du, Jian Liu, Hebin Wang, Daguang
- Sun, Dongmei Liang, et al. Effects of atrazine on the
- oxidative damage of kidney in Wister rats Int J Clin
- Exp Med 2014; 7(10): 3235-43.
- Thakur RS, Chaudhary R, Singh C. Fundamentals and
- applications of the photocatalytic treatment for the
- removal of industrial organic pollutants and effects
- of operational parameters: A review. J Renewable
- Sustainable Energy 2010; 2(4): 042701.
- Dehghani M, Nasseri S, Naddafi K, Taghavi M,
- Yunosian M, Maleki M. Atrazine Adsorption
- Desorption Behavior in Darehasaluie Kavar Corn Field
- Soil in Fars Province of Iran. Iran J Environ. Health
- Sci Eng 2005; 2(4): 221-8.
- Nasseri S, Dehghani M, Amin S, Naddafi K, Zamanian
- Z. Fate Of Atrazine In The Agricultural Soil Of Corn
- Fields In Fars Province Of Iran. Iran J Environ Health
- Sci Eng 2009; 6(4): 223-32.
- Murphya MB, Hecker M, Coady KK, Tompsettb AR,
- Jones D, Du Preez LH, et al. Atrazine concentrations,
- gonadal gross morphology and histology in ranid frogs
- collected in Michigan agricultural areas. Aquatic
- toxicology 2006;76: 230-45.
- Del Carmen Alvarez M, Fuiman LA. Environmental
- levels of atrazine and its degradation products impair
- survival skills and growth of red drum larvae. Aquat
- toxicol 2005; 10; 74(3): 229-41.
- Udikovic N, Hrsak D, Mendas G, Filipcic D. Enrichment
- and Characterization of Atrazine Degrading Bacterial
- Communities. Food Technol Biotechnol 2003; 41(3):
- Dehghani M, Nasseri S, Hashemi H. Study of the
- Bioremediation of Atrazine under Variable Carbon
- and Nitrogen Sources by Mixed Bacterial Consortium
- Isolated from Corn Field Soil in Fars Province of Iran.
- J Environ Public Health 2013; 1-7.
- Azenha M, Burrows HD, Canle LM, Coimbra RM, Fernandez M I, Garcia M V, et al. K inetic and
- mechanistic aspects of the direct photodegradation of
- atrazine, atraton, ametryn and 2-hydroxyatrazine by
- nm light in aqueous solution. Journal of Physical
- Organic Chemistry 2003; 16(8): 498-503.
- Bushnaq Z. Evaluation of UVA, UVB and UVC
- Photolysis and Photocatalysis for the Removal
- of Atrazine from Contaminated Water: RMIT
- UNIVERSITY; 2006.
- Choi HJ, Choi JD, Kim HK, Lee TJ. Kinetics of
- Atrazine Oxidation By UV Radiation and Oxalate
- Assisted H2O2/UV Processes. Environ Eng Res 2006;
- (1): 28-32.
- Dehghani M, Shahsavani E, Farzadkia M, Samaei MR.
- Optimizing photo-Fenton like process for the removal
- of diesel fuel from the aqueous phase. J Environ Health
- Sci Eng 2014; 12: 87.
- ChenaH ,Bramanti E, Longoc I, Onor M, Ferrari C.
- Oxidative decomposition of atrazine in water in the
- presence of hydrogen peroxide using an innovative
- microwave photochemical reactor.J Hazard Mater 2011;
- (2-3): 1808-15.
- Fogarty C. Photocatalytic Oxidation of Ciprofloxacin
- Under UV-LED Light: Worcester Polytechnic Institute;
- Sarathy SR, Mohseni M. An Overview of UV-based
- Advanced Oxidation Processes for Drinking Water
- Treatment IUVA News 2006; 7(1).
- Dehghani M, Nasseri S, Ahmadi M, Samaei MR,
- Anushiravani A. Removal of penicillin G from aqueous
- phase by Fe+3-TiO2/UV-A process. J Environ Health
- Sci Eng 2014; 12(1): 56.
- Baghapour M, Nasseri S, Derakhshan Z. Atrazine
- removal from aqueous solutions using submerged
- biological aerated filter. J Environ Health Sci Eng
- ; 11(1): 6.
- Konstantinou I, Albanis T. Photocatalytic
- transformation of pesticides in aqueous titanium
- dioxide suspensions using artificial and solar light:
- intermediates and degradation pathways. Applied
- Catalysis B: Environmental 2002; 1310: 1-17.
- Hemmati Borji S, Nasseri S, Nabizadeh Nodehi R,
- Mahvi A, Javadi A. Photocatalytic degradation of
- phenol in Aqueous Solutions by Fe(III)-doped TiO2/
- UV process. Iran J Health & Environ 2011; 3(4): 369-80.
- Du Y, Su Y, Lei l, Zhang x. Role of oxygen in the
- degradation of atrazine by UV/Fe (III) process. Journal
- of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry
- ; 208(1): 7-12.
- Prado J, Esplugas S. Comparison of different advanced
- oxidationprocesses involving ozone to eliminate
- atrazine. Ozone Science and Engineering 1998;21:
- Fazlurrahman, Batra M, Pandey J, Suri CR. Jain
- RK. Isolation and characterization of an atrazinedegrading
- Rhodococcussp. strain MB-P1 from
- contaminated soil. Lett Appl Microbiol 2009; 49(6): 721-9. doi:10.1111/j.1472-765X.2009.02724.x
- Dehghani M, Nasseri S, Zamanian. Biodegradation
- of alachlor in liquid and soil cultures under variable
- carbon and nitrogen sources by bacterial consortium
- isolated from corn field soil. Iranian J Environ Health
- Sci Eng 2013; 10:21.
- Dehghani M, Naseri S, Karamimanesh M. Removal of
- ,4-Dichlorophenolyxacetic acid (2,4-D) herbicide in
- the aqueous phase using modified granular activated carbon. J Environ Health Sci Eng 2014; 12(1): 28.
- Vlaardingerboek A, Brignon J-M, Genty A, Feenstra
- L, Tongeren Wv, Noppen Kv, et al. An Inventory and
- Assessment of Options for Reducing Emissions: Atrazine.
- Source Control of Priority Substances in Europe 2009.
- Dehghani M, Ahmadi M, Nasseri S. Photodegradation
- of the Antibiotic Penicillin G in the Aqueous Solution
- Using UV-A Radiation. Iranian J Health Sci 2014;
- (1): 43-50.