Document Type: Original Articles
1Shiraz HIV/AIDS research center
(Sharc). Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences, Shiraz, Iran;
Department of Health Education and
Promotion, School of Health, Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz,
Department of Health services, Unit
of Mental Health,Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran;
Department of Epidemiology, School
of Health, Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
AbstractBackground: The reduction of suicidal attempts as one of the most important goals is improvement of societies’ health status. The present study aimed to assess the epidemiologic aspects of suicide cases in Fars province in 2010-2011.Methods: A total of 9714 suicide cases in Fars province, south of Iran, in 2010-2011 were enrolled in this cross-sectional study through census. The study data were collected using suicide registry forms in the health centers affiliated to Fars province department of health services and analyzed using SPSS, version 17.Results: The rate of suicide attempts was 116.5 per 100,000 population in Fars province (93per 100,000 among men and 141.5 per 100,000 among women). The results showed significant differences between the suicide rates based on sex, age group, place of living, and season of the year (P<0.001). Most of these cases were female (59.4%), single (52.9%), 15-24 years old (56.4%), had high school education (25.8%), lived in urban areas (69.6%) and were female homemakers (30.3%). Based on the data, however, the largest number of suicide deaths resulted from self-immolation (56.7%).Conclusion: The present study findings revealed different rates of suicidal attempts based on sex and age group. Also, the importance of education and mental support, especially among women and singles, and also preventive measures in the context of uncontrolled immigration from the countryside to the large cities seems to essential more than ever. Yet, defects in some findings, particularly information about etiology, suggest that more researches should be conducted and suicide data registry and reporting systems should be improved.
- Gau SS, Chen CH, Lee CT, Chang JC, Cheng AT. Development of a Chinese version of the Suicide Intent Scale. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2009; 39(3): 332-42.
- Bidel Z, Nazarzadeh M, Ayubi E, Sayehmiri K. Prevalence of important poisoning methods used in Iranian suicides: A systematic review and metaanalysis. koomesh 2013; 14(3): 257-64.
- Akbari M, Naghavi M, Soori H. Epidemiology of deaths from injuries in the Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J 2006; 12(3/4): 382.
- WHO. Preventing suicide: A global imperative: World Health Organization; 2014.
- Ghaleiha A, Khazaee M, Afzali S, Matinnia N, Karimi B. An annual survey of successful suicide incidence in Hamadan, western Iran. J Res Health Sci 2009; 9(1): 13-6.
- http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/Suicide_ DataSheet-a.pdf, 10:30 PM, 2013/5/10.
- Peter T, Goossen R, Chipperfield S, Cooper M, Alix- Roussin A, Brown A, et al. Manitoba Adult Suicide Mortality Review: Risk Factors Associated with Mental Health & Substance Use Disorders. Winnipeg, MB: Winnipeg Regional Health Authority. 2009:1-58.
- Hatami H. handbook of public health.First published,. Tehran ed: Arjomand; 2006.
- Masango S, Rataemane S, Motojesi A. Suicide and suicide risk factors: A literature review. South African Family Practice 2009; 50(6): 25-9.
- Nojomi M, Bolhari J, Malakouti SK, Hakim Shooshtari M, Asgharzadeh Amin S, Posht Mashhadi M. The study of demographic characteristics of suicide attempters attending emergency rooms of Karaj hospitals in 2003- 2004. Razi Journal of Medical Sciences 2006; 13(52): 224-34.
- Ghafarian H, Hosseini M, Zoladl M, Malekzadeh M, Momeninejad M, Noorian K, et al. Suicide in the Islamic Republic of Iran: an integrated analysis from 1981 to 2007. EMHJ 2000; 18(6).
- Gunnell DJ. The epidemiology of suicide. International review of psychiatry 2000; 12(1): 21-6.
- Eizadi-Mood N, Akuchekian S, Sabzghabaee AM, Farzad G, Hessami N. General Health Status in a Cohort of Iranian Patients with Intentional Self-poisoning: A Preventive Approach. Int J Prev Med 2012; 3(1).
- Levin KA, Leyland AH. Urban/rural inequalities in suicide in Scotland, 1981â1999. Soc Sci Med 2005; 60(12): 2877-90.
- Bakhsha F, Behnampour N, Charkazi A. The prevalency of attempted suicide in Golestan province, North of Iran during 2003-07. Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences 2011; 13(2).
- Salarilak S, Entezarmahdi M, Afshani M, Abbasi H. A survey of rate and effective factors on occurrence of suicide during one year in westâazarbaijan. Urmia Med J 2006; 17(2): 93-100.
- Saberi-Zafarghandi M, Ghorbani R, Mousavi S. Epidemiologic study on suicide attempt in affiliated hospitals of Semnan University of Medical Sciences. Koomesh 2005; 6(4): 311-8.
- Yasamy M, Sabahi A, Mirhashemi M, Seifi S, Azar Keyvan P, Taheri M. Epidemiological survey of suicide through the Forensic Medical Center in the province of Kerman. Iranian journal of psychiatry and clinical psychology 2002; 7(4): 4-12.
- Mental Health Unit, the report of the Steering Committee for Treatment and Prevention of Suicide, University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Agoust 2011.
- Rezaeian M. Comparing the Statistics of Iranian Ministry of Health with Data of Iranian Statistical Center Regarding Recorded Suicidal Cases in Iran. 2012.
- Khajeh E, Hossein Pour M, Sedigh B, Rezvani Y. Image of suicide in Hormozgan province. Hormozgan medical journal 2014; 17(1): 61-7.
- Najafi F, Hasanzadeh J, Moradinazar M, Faramarzi H, Nematollahi A. An Epidemiological Survey of the
- Suicide Incidence Trends in the Southwest Iran: 2004- 2009. Int J Health Policy Manag 2013; 1(3): 219.
- Abel W, James K, Bridgelal-Nagassar R, Holder-Nevins D, Eldemire H, Thompson E, et al. The epidemiology of suicide in Jamaica 2002-2010: rates and patterns. West Indian Med J 2012; 61(5): 509-15.
- Amiri B, Pourreza A, Rahimi Foroushani A, Hosseini SM, Poorolajal J. Suicide and associated risk factors in Hamadan Province, West of Iran, in 2008 and 2009. J Res Health Sci 2012; 12(2): 88-92.
- Ghalehiha A, Behroozi Fard F. Epidemiologic Survey Of Suicide Attempters Hospitalized In Hamadan Sina Hospital In 2001 2002. Scientific Journal Of Hamadan University Of Medical Sciences And Health Services 2007; 4(13): 58-63.
- Mert E, Bilgin NG. Demographical, aetiological and clinical characteristics of poisonings in Mersin, Turkey. Hum Exp Toxicol 2006; 25(4): 217-23.
- Devrimci-Ozguven H, Sayil I. Suicide attempts in Turkey: results of the WHO-EURO Multicentre Study on Suicidal Behaviour. Can J Psychiatry 2003; 48(5): 324-9.
- Senol V, Unalan D, Avsarogullari L, Ikizceli I. An analysis of patients admitted to the Emergency Department of Erciyes University Medical School due to suicidal attempt. Anatolian Journal of Psychiatry 2005; 6: 19-29.
- Corcoran P, Nagar A. Suicide and marital status in Northern Ireland. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2010; 45(8): 795-800.
- Yamauchi T, Fujita T, Tachimori H, Takeshima T, Inagaki M, Sudo A. Age-adjusted relative suicide risk by marital and employment status over the past 25 years in Japan. J Public Health 2013; 35(1): 49-56.
- Wyder M, Ward P, De Leo D. Separation as a suicide risk factor. J Affect Disord 2009; 116(3): 208-13.
- LindstrÃ¶m M, Rosvall M. Marital status, social capital and health locus of control: A population-based study. Public Health 2012; 126(9): 790-5.
- Shams Alizadeh N, Afkhamzadeh A, Mohsenpour B, Salehian B. Suicide attempt and related factors in Kurdistan province. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences 2010; 15(1): 79-86.
- Molavi P, Abasi Ranjbar V. Assessment of suicide risk factors among attempted suicide in Ardebil within first half of 1382 [AP]. Journal of rehabilitation (UWRS) 2007; 8(28): 67-71.
- Gaynes BN, West SL, Ford CA, Frame P, Klein J, Lohr KN. Screening for suicide risk in adults: a summary of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2004; 140(10): 822-35.
- Levin A. The startling increase in the number of suicides by members of the US Army in the Last few years prompts a major collaborative study of risk and protective factors. Psychiatric News Aug 2009; 44(16): 1.
- Ashkani H, Dehbozorgi Gh.R, Emamgholi Poor N. Assessment of the epidemiological factors associated with suicide among the patients admitted in the psychiatric emergency ward. Medical Journal of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences & Health Services 2003; (56): 16-21.
- Krug EG, Mercy JA, Dahlberg LL, Zwi AB. The world report on violence and health. The lancet 2002; 360(9339): 1083-8.
- Gouda MN, Rao SM. Factors related to attempted suicide in Davanagere. Indian J Community Med 2008; 33(1): 15.
- Turhan E, Inandi T, Aslan M, Zeren C. Epidemiology of attempted suicide in Hatay, Turkey. Neurosciences (Riyadh) 2011; 16(4): 347-52.
- Alberdi-Sudupe J, Pita-Fernandez S, Gomez-PardiÃ±as SM, Iglesias-Gil-de-Bernabe F, Garcia-Fernandez J, Martinez-Sande G, et al. Suicide attempts and related factors in patients admitted to a general hospital: a ten-year cross-sectional study (1997-2007). BMC psychiatry 2011; 11(1): 51.
- Nock MK, Borges G, Bromet EJ, Cha CB, Kessler RC, Lee S. Suicide and suicidal behavior. Epidemiol Rev 2008; 30(1): 133-54.
- Beautrais AL. Suicide and serious suicide attempts in youth: a multiple-group comparison study. Am J Psychiatry 2003; 160(6): 1093-9.
- Morovatdar N, Moradi Lakeh M, Malakouti SK, Nojomi M. Frequency of Methods of Suicide in Eastern Mediterranean Region (EMRO) of WHO: A Systematic Review. Iranian journal of psychiatry and clinical psychology 2013; 18(4): 253-60.
- Kopjar B, Dieserud G, Wiik J. [Deliberate selfpoisonings treated in hospitals]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2005; 125(13): 1798-800.
- Taghaddosinejad F, Sheikhazadi A, Behnoush B, Reshadati J, Anary SHS. A survey of suicide by burning in Tehran, Iran. Acta Medica Iranica 2010; 48(4): 266-72.