Document Type: Original Articles
Health Promotion Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran;
Student Research committee, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran;
Department of Epidemiology, School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background: Girls are one of the high risk groups for iron deficiency anemia. Iron supplementation program is a preventive strategy for female students in high schools in Iran. This study aimed to estimate the prevalence of iron supplements consumption among high school students in the southeast of Iran. Methods: A quantitative study was conducted in Zahedan (the capital of Sistan and Balochestan province) in the southeast of Iran in 2015. The sample size was 400 high school students from different areas of Zahedan who were randomly selected. A standard questionnaire was used for data collection. The data were analyzed using SPSS statistical software through descriptive statistics, one way ANOVA and Chi-square. Results: In total, 68.2% of the students did not administer any tablets whether regularly or irregularly during the past 16 weeks. About 41 third grade students did not take any tablets in 16 weeks. There were a statistically significant correlation between lack of taking tablet and their grade point average of the last year (P=0.003, F=1.078); also, it had a significant association with school grade of students (P=0.009). Conclusion: Most of the students did not use iron supplementation in Zahedan high schools. Measures should be taken to increase the culture of consuming iron tablets by providing appropriate environmental conditions; it seems that iron supplementation programs will have positive impacts on the students.
- Cappellini MD, Motta I, editors. Anemia in Clinical PracticeâDefinition and Classification: Does Hemoglobin Change With Aging? Seminars in Hematology; 2015: Elsevier.
- Reihaneh I, Mehrnaz M, Mirmohammad H, Zahra V, Maryam M, Farideh S. The effect of education on knowledge, attitude and practice of female students in secondary school about iron deficiency anemia, Khalkhal 2009.
- Shams S, Asheri H, Kianmehr A, Ziaee V, Koochakzadeh L, Monajemzadeh M, et al. The prevalence of iron deficiency anaemia in female medical students in Tehran. Singapore Med J 2010; 51(2): 116.
- Alizadeh Charandabi M, Sehhatie F, Ebrahimi- Mameghani M, Salman R. Knowledge and Practice of the students in Tabriz about iron deficiency and iron supplementation. Journal of Hormozgan 14; 1(3): 265-72.
- Bodnar LM, Scanlon KS, Freedman DS, Siega-Riz AM, Cogswell ME. High prevalence of postpartum anemia among low-income women in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2001;185(2): 438-43.
- Organization WH. Iron deficiency anaemia: assessment, prevention and control: a guide for programme managers 2001.
- Hwalla N, Adra N, Jackson RT. Iron deficiency is an important contributor to anemia among reproductive age women in Lebanon. Ecol Food Nutr 2004; 43(1- 2): 77-92.
- Mozaffari-Khosravi H1, Noori-Shadkam M, Fatehi F, Naghiaee Y. Once weekly low-dose iron supplementation effectively improved iron status in adolescent girls. Biol Trace Elem Res 2010 Jun; 135(1- 3): 22-30.
- Kianfar H1, Kimiagar M, Ghaffarpour M. Effect of daily and intermittent iron supplementation on iron status of high school girls. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2000 Jul; 70(4): 172-7.
- Jalambadani ZSD, Hosseini M, Sadeghi R. Effect of iron supplements on the basis of the theory of planned behavior on Pregnant women Mashhad. J Clin Nurs Midwifery 2015; 4(2): 59-68.
- Karimi B, Hajizadehzaker R, Raheb G. Investigatiing of iron supplementation status and its associated factors in female students of guidence schools in Semnan 2012. Koomesh 2014; 15(3): 316-24.
- Halterman JS, Kaczorowski JM, Aligne CA, Auinger P, Szilagyi PG. Iron deficiency and cognitive achievement among school-aged children and adolescents in the United States. Pediatrics 2001; 107(6): 1381-6.
- MÃ¥nsson J, Johansson G, Wiklund M, Baigi A, Marklund B. Symptom panorama in upper secondary school students and symptoms related to iron deficiency Screening with laboratory tests, questionnaire and interventional treatment with iron. Scand J Prim Health Care 2005; 23(1): 28-33.
- Grondin M-A, Ruivard M, Perreve A, Derumeaux- Burel H, Perthus I, Roblin J, et al. Prevalence of iron deficiency and health-related quality of life among female students. J Am Coll Nutr 2008; 27(2): 337-41.
- Mann S, Kaur S, Bains K. Iron and energy supplementation improves the physical work capacity of female college students. Food Nutr Bull 2002; 23(1): 57-64.
- Sungthong R, Mo-suwan L, Chongsuvivatwong V, Geater AF. Once weekly is superior to daily iron supplementation on height gain but not on hematological improvement among schoolchildren in Thailand. J Nutr 2002; 132(3): 418-22.
- Rosado JL, Lopez P, Munoz E, Martinez H, Allen LH. Zinc supplementation reduced morbidity, but neither zinc nor iron supplementation affected growth or body composition of Mexican preschoolers. Am J Clin Nutr 1997; 65(1): 13-19.
- Rahman MM, Akramuzzaman SM, Mitra AK, Fuchs GJ, Mahalanabis D. Long-term supplementation with iron does not enhance growth in malnourished Bangladeshi children. J Nutr 1999; 129(7): 1319-22.