Document Type: Original Articles
Research Center for Health Sciences, Department of Epidemiology, School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran;
Student Research Committee, Department of Epidemiology, School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran;
Department of Nursing, School of Nursing & Midwifery, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background: Today, the quality of life (QoL) studies have an important role in public health care, especially among the old adults suffering from chronic diseases such as diabetes. Diabetes and its complications can widely affect various aspects of QoL. Therefore, the present study aimed to assess diabetic patients’ QoL and identify the factors that affect it. Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted on 593 randomly selected diabetic patients aged 60 years and above who were admitted in 13 diabetes clinics in Shiraz, Iran, in 2014. Diabetes Quality of Life-Brief Clinical Inventory (DQOL-BCI) questionnaire was used to assess the quality of life in these patients. Univariate and multivariate linear regression analyses were performed, using Stata software, version 12, to identify the predictors of DQoL. Results: The participants’ mean DQoL score was 41.8±6.2 with a mean age of 66.2±6.0 years. Multivariate linear regression analyses revealed that FBS level (115-180 mg/dL: P=0.05; above 180 mg/dL: P=0.02) and duration of diabetes (4-9 years: P=0.06; above 9 years: P=0.002) were two important clinical predictors of DQoL. Conclusion: This study demonstrated a relationship between clinical and socio-demographic factors and diabetic patients’ QoL. Considering these related variables could lead to effective control of diabetes complications and improvement of the patients’ QoL.
- Darvishpour Kakhaki A, Abed Saeedi G, Delaware A, Saeed Alzakryn M. Tools to measure health status and quality of life of elderly diabetics. Research i n Medicine 2009; 33(3): 163 (Persian).
- Andrew RH, Maxine H, Cowley AS. Quality of life and choice in an ageing society. International J Cardiol 2001; 78: 1-3.
- Facts about ageing [Internet]. World Health Organization. 2016 [cited 2016 Jul 15]. Available from: http://www.who.int/ageing/about/facts/en/
- Mental health and older adults [Internet]. World Health Organization. 2016 [cited 2016 may 06]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs381/en
- Heller SG, Busse A, Angermeyer MC. The state of mental health in old-age across the old European Union. Acta Psychatr Scand 2006; 113(5): 388-401.
- Monjamed Z, Ali Asgharpour M, Mehran A, Peymani T. Quality of life of patients with diabetes complications. Journal of Nursing and Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences (life) 1385; 12(1): 55-66 (Persian).
- Sharif F, Vedad F. The relationship between mental health and Quality of life of hemodialysis patients referred to hospitals affiliated to Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. Iran Journal of Nursing 2007; 51(20): 61-9.
- Calman KC. Quality of life in cancer patientsâan hypothesis. J Med Ethics 1984; 10(3): 124-7.
- Zhang Q, Zhang N, Hu HL, He Y, Chen M, Wang XY, et al. Effect of intensive blood glucose control on quality of life in elderly patients with type 2 diabetes in Anhui Province. Chin Med J 2011; 124(11): 161.
- Abbaszadeh SH, Tabatabai Malazy O, Pajoohi M. Diabetes and aging. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid 2009; 8(4): 318 (Persian).
- Haririan HR, Moghaddasian S, Aghajanloo A. Dimensions of quality of life in diabetic patients referred to the Diabetes Center of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid 2007; 9(2): 152-60 (Persian).
- Bourdel-Marchasson I, Helmer C, Fagot-Campagna, Dehail P, Joseph PA. Disability and quality of life in elderly people with diabetes. Diabetes Metab 2007; 33: s66.
- Ragonesi PD, Ragonesi G, Merati L, Taddei MT. The impact of DM on Quality of life in elderly patients. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 1998; 26: 417-22.
- Nasihatkon AA, Phishva AR, Habibzade F, Tabatabai M, Ghashghaeezade MT, et al. Determine the reliability and validity of Diabetes Quality Of Life- Brief Clinical Inventory in Persian. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid 2012; 11(5): 484 (Persian).
- Hadi N, Ghahremani S, Montazeri A. Health related Quality of life in both types of diabetes in Shiraz, Iran. Shiraz E-Medical Journal 2013; 14(2): 112-22.
- Tang WL, Wang YM, Du WM, Cheng NN, Chen BY. Assessment of quality of life and relevant factors in elderly diabetic patients in the Shanghai community. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2006; 15: 123-130.
- Tavares DMS, Santos EA, Dias FA, Ferreira PCS, Olivera PB. Factors associated with quality of life of elderly people with diabetes mellitus. Journal of Nursing 2014; 8(6): 1491-501.
- Trief PM, Wade MJ, Pine D, Weinstock RS. A comparison of health-related quality of life of elderly and younger insulin-treated adults with diabetes. Age Ageing 2003; 32: 613-8.
- Patel B, Oza B, Patel K, Malhotra S, Patel V. Health related quality of life in type-2 diabetic patients in Western India using World Health Organization Quality of Life â BREF and appraisal of diabetes scale. Int J Diabetes Dev Ctries 2014; 34(2): 100-7.
- Kiadaliri AA, Najafi B, Mirmalek-Sani M. Quality of life in people with diabetes: a systematic review of studies in Iran. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2013; 12(1): 54.
- Prazeres F, Figueiredo D. Measuring quality of life of old type 2 diabetic patients in primary care in Portugal: a cross-sectional study. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2014; 13: 68.
- Maatouk I, Wild B, Wesche D, Herzog W, Raum E, Muller H, et al. Temporal Predictors of Health Related Quality of Life in Elderly People with Diabetes: Results of a German Cohort Study. PLoS One 2012; 7(1).
- Arastoo AA, Qasemzadeh R, Naseh H, Kamali M, Rahimi Forooshani A, Arzaghani M, et al . Quality of life and its associated factors in elderly diabetic residents in nursing home Tehran Kahrizak. J Endocrinol Metab 1391; 4(1): 18-24 (Persian).
- Nicolucci A, Cucinotta D, Squatrito S, Lappola A, Musacchio N, leotta S, et al. Clinical and socioeconomic correlates of quality of life and treatment satisfaction in patients with type 2 diabetes. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Disease 2009; 19(1): 45-53.
- Senez B, Felicioli P, Moreau A, Le Goaziou MF. Quality of life assessment of type 2 diabetic patients in general medicine. Presse Med 2004; 33(3): 161-6.
- Vares Z, Zandi M, Baghaei P, Masoudi Alavi N, Mirbagher N. Quality of life and related factors in diabetic patients referred to Kashan Diabetes Center. Nursing Research. 1389; 5(17): 14-22 (Persian).
- Kakhki A, Abed saeedi Z. Health-Related Quality of Life of Diabetic Patients in Tehran. Int J Endocrinol Metab 2013; 11(4): e7945.
- Wikman A, Wardle J, Steptoe A. Quality of Life and Affective Well-Being in Middle-Aged and Older People with Chronic Medical Illnesses: A Cross âSectional Population Based Study. PLoS One 2011; 6(4).
- Didarloo A, Alizadeh M. Health-Related Quality of Life and its Determinants amongst Female with Diabetes Mellitus: Across-Sectional Analysis. Nurs Midwifery Stud 2016; 5(1): e28937.
- Trief PM, Wade MJ, Britton KD, Weinstock RS. A prospective analysis of marital relationship factors and quality of life in diabetes. Diabetes Care 2002; 25(7): 1154-8.
- Penckofer S, Quinn L, Byrn M, Ferrans C, Miller M, Strange P. Does glycemic variability impact mood and quality of life? Diabetes Technol Ther 2012; 14(4): 303-10.