Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Environmental Engineering, Estahban Branch, Islamic Azad University, Estahban, Iran
Abstract Background: The compounds which contain nitrogen entering the environment can cause some problems, such as eutrophication for water resources and potential risk for human health because of methemoglobinemia and cancer. Biological techniques are effective in removing nitrate. The aim of this study was to remove nitrate from groundwater using denitrification. The main objectives of this research were determining the reduction of water nitrate based on different retention time and also the effect of using grape extract as organic matter and electron acceptor in biological nitrate removal from water. Methods: In this experimental study, the effect of heterotrophic Pseudomonas separated from Shiraz wastewater treatment plant on removing nitrate from groundwater was investigated at pilot scale using grape extract as carbon source and filamentous media at constant pH (7±0.1) and temperature (20±1 °C). During this study, 2 pilots were made. Pilot number 1 was used for separation and growth of the above mentioned bacteria (Pseudomonas) that are able to remove nitrate. Pilot number 2 was also used for surveying the removal of nitrate by these bacteria. At least, 13 samples were examined in every retention time and each test was repeated for 2 or 3 times. Statistical analysis was performed in SPSS (ver.19) software using one-way repeated measures ANOVA, and Bonferroni tests. Results: According to the results, nitrate removal rates were 49%, 55%, 67% and, 67% at retention times of 1, 1.5, 2, and 2.5 hours, respectively. The best retention time was 2 hours with 67% removal rate (P<0.05). Conclusion: The results showed that using grape extract as the carbon source and proper growth of bacteria in filamentous media led to a significant increase in the removal rate.
- Baghapour MA, Talebbeydokhti N, Tabatabee H, Nobandegani AF. Assessment of Groundwater Nitrate Pollution and Determination of Groundwater Protection Zones Using DRASTIC and Composite DRASTIC (CD) Models: The Case of Shiraz Unconfined Aquifer. J Health Sci Surveillance Sys 2014; 2(2): 54-65.
- Basu S, Singh SK, Tewari PK, Batra VS, Balakrishnan M. Treatment of nitrate-rich water in a baffled membrane bioreactor (BMBR) employing waste derived materials. J Environ Manage 2014; 146: 16-21.
- Morris BL, Lawrence AR, Chilton P, Adams B, Calow RC, Klinck BA. Textbook of Groundwater and its susceptibility to degradation: a global assessment of the problem and options for management. 2003. (book)
- Burghate S, Ingole N. Performance of Fluidized Bed Biofilm Reactor for Nitrate Removal. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Science (IJRES) 2013; 1(7): 38-47.
- Brindha K, Rajesh R, Murugan R, Elango L. Nitrate pollution in groundwater in some rural areas of Nalgonda district, Andhra Pradesh, India. Journal of Environmental Science & Engineering 2012; 54(1): 64-70.
sik E, Bohdziewicz J, BÅaszczyk M. Removal of nitrate ions from natural water using a membrane bioreactor. Sep Purif Technol 2001; 22: 383-92.
- Loganathan P, Vigneswaran S, Kandasamy J. Enhanced removal of nitrate from water using surface modification of adsorbentsâA review. J Environ Manage 2013; 131: 363-74.
- Zhang B, Liu Y, Tong S, Zheng M, Zhao Y, Tian C, et al. Enhancement of bacterial denitrification for nitrate removal in groundwater with electrical stimulation from microbial fuel cells. J Power Sources 2014; 268: 423-9.
- Ovez B, Ozgen S, Yuksel M. Biological denitrification in drinking water using Glycyrrhiza glabra and Arunda donax as the carbon source. Process Biochemistry 2006; 41(7): 1539-44.
- Li B, Pan X, Zhang D, Lee D-J, Al-Misned FA, Mortuza MG. Anaerobic nitrate reduction with oxidation of Fe (II) by Citrobacter Freundii strain PXL1âa potential candidate for simultaneous removal of As and nitrate from groundwater. Ecological Engineering 2015; 77: 196-201.
- Epsztein R, Nir O, Lahav O, Green M. Selective nitrate removal from groundwater using a hybrid nanofiltrationâreverse osmosis filtration scheme. Chemical Engineering Journal 2015; 279: 372-8.
- Bhardwaj A, Garg S, Sondhi S, Taneja D. Nitrate contamination of shallow aquifer groundwater in the central districts of Punjab, India. Journal of Environmental Science & Engineering 2012; 54(1): 90-7.
- Breisha GZ, Winter J. Bio-removal of nitrogen from wastewaters-A review. Journal of American Science 2010; 6(12): 508 28.
- Lee S, Maken S, Jang J-H, Park K, Park J-W. Development of physicochemical nitrogen removal process for high strength industrial wastewater. Water Res 2006; 40(5): 975-80.
- De Lucas A, Rodriguez L, Villasenor J, Fernandez F. Denitrification potential of industrial wastewaters. Water Res 2005; 39(15): 3715-26.
- Ozha D, Golani F. NitrateâAn Environmental Pollutant in Ground Water of Rajasthan and Its Management for Sustainable Future. Journal of Indian Water Works Association 2010; 42(3): 214-7.
- Magram SF. Drinking water denitrification in a packed bed anoxic reactor: effect of carbon source and reactor depth. J Appl Sci 2010; 10(7): 558-63.
- Camargo JA, Alonso Ã. Ecological and toxicological effects of inorganic nitrogen pollution in aquatic ecosystems: a global assessment. Environment International 2006; 32(6): 831-49.
- Cantor KP. Drinking water and cancer. Cancer Causes Control 1997; 8(3): 292-308.
- Masukume M, Eskandarpour A, Onyango MS, Ochieng A, Otieno F. Treating high nitrate groundwater using surfactant modified zeolite in fixed bed column. Sep Sci Technol 2011; 46(7): 1131-7.
- Islam M, Mishra PC, Patel R. Physicochemical characterization of hydroxyapatite and its application towards removal of nitrate from water. J Environ Manage 2010; 91(9): 1883-91.
- Zhan Y, Lin J, Zhu Z. Removal of nitrate from aqueous solution using cetylpyridinium bromide (CPB) modified zeolite as adsorbent. J Hazard Mater 2011; 186(2): 1972-8.
- Abou-Shady A, Peng C, Bi J, Xu H. Recovery of Pb (II) and removal of NO 3â from aqueous solutions using integrated electrodialysis, electrolysis, and adsorption process. Desalination 2012; 286: 304-15.
- Ergas SJ, Rheinheimer DE. Drinking water denitrification using a membrane bioreactor. Water Res 2004; 38(14): 3225-32.
- Shin K-H, Cha DK. Microbial reduction of nitrate in the presence of nanoscale zero-valent iron. Chemosphere 2008; 72(2): 257-62.
- McCarty PL. textbook of Environmental biotechnology: principles and applications: Tata McGraw-Hill Education;private limited 2012.
- Kariminiaae-Hamedaani H-R, Kanda K, Kato F. Denitrification activity of the bacterium Pseudomonas sp. ASM-2-3 isolated from the Ariake Sea tideland. J Biosci Bioeng 2004; 97(1): 39-44.
- Kirstein D, Kirstein L, Scheller F, Borcherding H, Ronnenberg J, Diekmann S, et al. Amperometric nitrate biosensors on the basis of Pseudomonas stutzeri nitrate reductase. J Electroanal Chem 1999; 474(1): 43-51.
- Borcherding H, Leikefeld S, Frey C, Diekmann S, SteinrÃ¼cke P. Enzymatic microtiter plate-based nitrate detection in environmental and medical analysis. Analytical Biochemistry 2000; 282(1): 1-9.
- Seid-mohammadi A, Movahedian Attar H, Nokaeen M. Drinking Water Denitrification using Autotrophic Denitrirfying Bacteria in a Fluidized Bed Bioreactor. Iranian Journal of Health and Environment 2013; 6(1): 399-410.
- Ha J, Ong S. Nitrification and denitrification in partially aerated biological aerated filter (BAF) with dual size sand media. Water Sci Technol 2007; 55(1-2): 9-17.
- Wang Q, Feng C, Zhao Y, Hao C. Denitrification of nitrate contaminated groundwater with a fiber-based biofilm reactor. Bioresour Technol 2009; 100(7): 2223-7.
- KesserÅ± P, Kiss I, Bihari Z, Polyak B. Biological denitrification in a continuous-flow pilot bioreactor containing immobilized Pseudomonas butanovora cells. Bioresour Technol 2003; 87(1): 75-80.
- Ovez B. Batch biological denitrification using Arundo donax, Glycyrrhiza glabra, and Gracilaria verrucosa as carbon source. Process Biochemistry 2006; 41(6): 1289-95.
- Foglar L, BriÅ¡ki F, Sipos L, VukoviÄ M. High nitrate removal from synthetic wastewater with the mixed bacterial culture. Bioresour Technol 2005; 96(8): 879-88.
- Rezaei A, Godeini H, Yazdanbakhsh A, Moosavi G, Khavanin A. The comparison of the effects of carbon sources, methanol, ethanol and succinat in wastewater biological nitrate removal. Yafteh 2014; 1(9).