Document Type: Original Articles
Dept. of English Language, Faculty of Paramedical Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Dept. of Health Information Management and Technology, Faculty of Management and Medical Information Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
BSc, student of Health services management, Student Research Committee, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz,
Health Promotion Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Dezful University of Medical Sciences, Dezful, Iran
Abstract Introduction: One of the aims of the family physician program (FPP) is to improve the maternal and child health indicators. this study aimed to comparison maternal and child health indicators in Shiraz rural areas before and after implementation of FPP during 2001 to 2012.Methods: This applicable study was conducted in Shiraz in the south west of Iran in 2014. The child and maternal health indicators before (2001 to 2005) and after FPP (from 2006 to 2012) were gathered from the Health Center (Enghelab and Shohadaye Valfajr). The instrument for data collection was a questionnaire consisted of 20 maternal and child health indicators. Descriptive statistics was used and for analyzing the data, Excel and Stata software and comparisons of rates and joint point regression tests were employed.Results: the results showed that The FPP lead to decrease in stillbirth, infant mortality and child under one-year mortality in the rural area. Also all the vital horoscope indicator (mortality under one month, mortality under one year, the frequency of the infants under one year, the percentage of stillbirths, crude death percentage, crude birth percentage, general fertility percentage, total fertility percentage) have improved after FPP in Health Center rather than Enghelab Health Center .Conclusion: the maternal and child health indicators had improvement after FPP implementation. Therefore, it is recommended to continue the program.
- Chaman R, Amiri M, Raei M, Alinejad M, NasrollahpourShirvani SD. National Family Physician Program in Shahroud: Assessing Quality of Implementation and Condition of Settings. Hakim Research Journal 2011; 14(2): 123- 129.
- HosseiniFaraji H. Performance evaluation of family physician program in Imam Khomeini's Relief Committee, Yazd province 2005: 24. Thesis [In Persian].
- Bunker JP, Frazier HS, Mosteller F. Improving health: measuring effects of medical care. The Milbank Quarterly. 1994; 72(2):225â258. [PubMed]
- Shi L, Starfield B, Kennedy B, Kawachi I. Income inequality, primary care, and health indicators. Journal of Family Practice. 1999; 48(4):275â284. [PubMed].
- Starfield B, Shi L, Macinko J. Contribution of primary care to health systems and health. Milbank Quarterly. 2005; 83(3):457â502. [PMC free article] [PubMed].
- NasrollahpourShirvani D, AshrafianAmiri H, E. Motlagh M, Kabir M. J
- , Maleki M. R, ShabestaniMonfared A, Alizadeh R. Evaluation of the Function of Referral System in Family Physician Program in Northern Provinces of Iran: 2008. Journal of Babol university of medical science 2009; 11(6):46-52.
- Takian A, Rashidian A, Kabir MJ. Expediency and coincidence in re-engineering a health system: an interpretive approach to formation of family medicine in Iran. Health policy and planning. 2011; 26(2):163â173. [PubMed]
- LeBaron SWM, Schultz SH. Family Medicine in Iran: The Birth of a New Specialty. International Family Medicine. 2005; 37(7):502â505. [PubMed]
- Khayyati FM, Esmaeilmotlagh MJ, KabirKazemeini H, Gharibi F, Jafari N. The role of family physician in case finding, referral, and insurance coverage in the rural areas.Iranian J Publ Health. 2011; 40(3):136â139. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Tavasoli E, Alidousti M, Khadivi R, SharifiradGh. R, Hasanzadeh A. Relationship between Knowledge and Attitudes of Rural People with Information Resources about Family Physicion Program in Shahrekord (2010). Journal of Health System Research 2014;6(3): 498-505.
- Kersnik J. An evaluation of patient satisfaction with family practice care in Slovenia.Int J Qual Health Care 2000;12(2):143-147.
- Mohammad Jafari H, VahidShahi K, Mahmoodi M, Abbaskhanian A, Shahbaznegad L. Survey of effect of continuous medical education on knowledge of general practitioner. Koomesh, Journal of Semnan University of Medical Sciences 2008; 9 (4): 255-62. [In Persian].
- Hafezi Z, Asqari, Momayezi M. Monitoring Performance of Family Physicians in Yazd. Journal of Yazd School of Health 2009; 6(1-2):16-26.
- Khuwaja AK, Khuwaja NK. Screening for diseases in family practice. J Pak Med Assoc. 2005;55(3):116â118. [PubMed]
- Hatam N, Joulaei H, Kazemifar Y, Askarian M. Cost efficiency of the family physician plan in fars province, southern iran. Iran J Med Sci. 2012; 37:253â9. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
- Mohammadi A, Mohammadi J. Evaluating quality of health services in health centres of Zanjan district of Iran. Indian J Public Health.2012; 56:308â13. [PubMed]
- Jannati A, Maleki M, Gholizade M, Narimani M, Vakeli S. Assessing the Strengths & Weaknesses of Family Physician Program. Knowledge & Health 2010; 4(4):39-44
- Ministry of health and medical education.Illustration of health team and family physician services. Tehran: Arvij; 2007. [In Persian].
- .Raeisi P, EbadiFardAzar F, Roudbari M, ShabaniKia HR. The Impact of Family Physician Program on Mother and Child Health Indices in Rural Population Auspices of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences and Health Care Services, Iran; 2009. Journal of Health Management 2011; 14(43): 27-36.
- Barati A, Malaki M, Gohari M, Kabir M, Amir Asmaili M, Abdi G. The impact of family physiciansonhealth indicators. Journal of Paiesh 2012; 11(3): 361-63.
- Raeissi P, Ghorbani A, Tabarraie Y. Factors Determining Satisfaction with Family Practitioner Program from the Perspective of Rural Insurance Card holders affiliated with Sabzevar University of Medical of Sciences 2011.Journal of Health Management 2012; 15(49): 69-76.
- Manca DP, Varnhagen S, Brett- MacLean P, Allan GM, Szafran O,Ausford A, et al. Rewards and challenges of family practice: Webbasedsurvey using the Delphi method. Can Fam Physician 2007; 53(2):278-86.
- Sans- Corrales M, Pjol E, Badia J, Pasarin M, Perez B, Brunet J. Family medicin attributes related to satisfaction, health and costs. Journal of Family Practice 2006; 23(3): 308-316.
- MirzaRahimi M, Abedi A, Shahnazi F, Saadati H, EnteshariMoghadam A. [The causes and rate of mortality among newborns in NICU and newborns unit at Imam Khomeini and Alavi Hospitals in Ardabil from September 2006 to September 2007]. Ardebil Univ Med J 2008; 8(4):424-30.
- Boskabadi H, Parvini Z, Barati T, Mouadi A. Investigate of causes and risk factors of mortality in Mashhad Ghaem Hospital 2009-2010. Iraninan Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology andInfertility 2011; 14(7): 6- 9.
- Jurczak A, Kordek A, Grochans E, Giedrys-Kalemba S .Clinical forms of infections in neonates hospitalized in clinic of obstetrics and perinatology within the space of one year. Advances in Medical Sciences 2007; 52:23-25.
- Falahi M, Joudki N, Mohseni Bandpey H. [Causes neonatal mortality hospitaled in shohadaytajrish hospital in 1383-1386]. Pajouhandeh 2009; 14(1):43-6. [In Persian].
- Stoll BJ, Kliegman RM. Overview of mortality and morbidity. In: Behrman RE, Kliegman RM, Jenson HB. Nelson textbook of pediatrics. 18th ed, Philadelphia: Saunders; 2007:671-4.
- Joseph KS, Wilkins R, Dodds L, Allen VM, Ohlsson A, Marcoux S, et al. Customized birth weight for gestational age standards: perinatal mortality patterns are consistent with separate standards for males and females but not for blacks and whites. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2005 Feb 20; 5(1):3.
- Hematyar M, Yarjou S. Causes of perinatal mortality at Javaheri hospital during a 7- year period
- -2003. Mel Sci J Islamic Azad Univ,TehranMed Unite 2005;1(15):37-40.
- Safari H, Nooripour S, Emadi Z, Shakeri R, Jandaghi J, Mirmohammadkhani M. Associated factors of mortality of children aged 1 to 59 months in rural areas of Semnan: A nested case-control study based on 10 years of surveillance data. Journal of koomesh. 2014; 15 (3):282-288.
- Jung-Choi K, Khang YH. Contribution of different causes of death to socioeconomic mortality inequality in Korean children aged 1-9: findings from a national mortality follow-up study. J Epidemiol Community Health 2011; 65:124-129.
- Bradshaw, M., Dymond, P. and Chako, E., 2007, Contemporary World Regional Geography,
- MC Graw Hill, New York.
- Billari, F.C. & Kohler, H.P., 2004, Patterns of Low and Lowest â Low Fertility in Europe,
- Population Studies 58(2), pp. 161-177.
- Takian A, Doshmangir L, RashidianA. Implementing family physician programme in rural Iran: exploring the role of an existing primary health care network. Journal of Oxford 2013; 30(5): 551- 559.
- De Maeseneer J, van Weel C, Egilman D, et al. Strengthening primary care: addressing the disparity between vertical and horizontal investment. Br J Gen Pract 2008; 58(546): 3â4.
- Creating Unity for Action, An Action Plan for Rural Health: World Organisation of Family Doctors (Wonca), Wonca Working Party on Rural Practice 2003. http://www.sbmfc.org.br/media/ file/GT Medicina Rural/action plan for rural health draft 2003. Pdf (accessed on 1 Jun 2013).