Document Type: Original Articles
Student Research Committee, School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
(Corresponding Author) Address; Occupational Health Department, School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, POBox: 71645-111, Shiraz, I.R.Iran, Tel: +987117251020, Fax: +987137251020, Email;
Objectives: This study aimed to investigate the extent of implementation of safety measures in 14 student housings in one of the largest universities in Fars province, Shiraz, Iran.Method: A cross-sectional study was conducted in 14 student housings of one of the largest universities, located in Shiraz, Iran. Audit checklists were completed and rated thought field inspection and interview. Safety Requirement Index (SRI) was then used to evaluate the safety of student housings. SRI was graded on five scales (0-19%: very poor (unsafe); 20-39%: poor (relatively unsafe); 40-59%: moderate; 60-79%: good (relatively safe): and 80-100%: excellent (safe). Results: The mean SRI score was 71.01±15.46%. The highest and lowest level of SRI was 94.11±6.60% for dimensions of public health (and 47.70±18.42% for elevator safety.Conclusion: None of the studied housings was completely safe in all dimensions. Most of the studied housings were categorized as safe in the dimensions of public health and ventilation and air-conditioning systems; relatively safe in the dimensions of electrical, building, fire and kitchen safety; and moderate in the elevator safety and emergency response. Establishment of safety management system is necessary to promote safety in the studied housings. The results of this study indicated the need to inform the authorities about the safety priorities in housings, to promote the safety conditions. The results could also be used to raise awareness regarding their role and responsibilities about the safety of housings.
- Arghami SH & Bouya M. Principles of safety for industry and services. Hamedan: Fanavaran Publication; 2006: 32-4 [Book in Persian]
- M.Jahan-Giri&M.Amin Norozi.Integrated, Health Safety and Environmental Management Systems (IMS & HSE-MS); 2012 [Book in Persian]
- Halvani GH, Ketabi D. Comparison of the Safety Levels of Governmental and Non-Governmental Schools: Study in Yazd City, Iran, 2009. International journal of occupational hygiene. 2010; 2(1):6-9.
- IBC, 2012. International Building Code. International Code Council, USA
- Sanni-Anibire, M.O., Hassanain, M.A., 2015. An integrated fire safety assessment of a student housing facility. Struct. Surv. 33 (4/5), 354â371
- Mohammad A. Hassanain , Mohammed Abdul Hafeez , Muizz O. Sanni-Anibire, A ranking system for fire safety performance of student housing facilities, Safety Science 92 (2017) 116â127
- Johnson E, Cole EC, Merrill R. Environmental health risks associated with off-campus student-tenant housing.J Environ Health. 2009 Jan-Feb;71(6):43-9; quiz 51-2.
- Aftabnews [Internet] . accessed 4 nov 2011. available from: http://www.aftabir.com/news/view/2011/nov/04/c9_1320407776.php
- Iranian Student's News Agency [Internet] . accessed 27 January 2015. available from: http://isna.ir/fa/news/93110100195/. Page
- Aftabnews [Internet] . accessed 17 octo 2011. available from: http://aftabnews.ir/vdcf0edyjw6dmya.igiw.html. Page
- Hammond JS, Hickman C, Ward CG. Burns in school-age children: demographics and burn prevention. J Burn Care Rehabil 1987; 8: 330â2.
- Home fire Safety [Internet] . accessed year: 2006. available from: http://www.usfa.fema.gov/ public/factsheets/ facts.shtm. Page
- Bektas T. IlkÃ¶gretim Okullarinda Ãgrenci GÃ¼venligi: BÃ¼yÃ¼kÃ§ekmece IlÃ§esi Ãrnegi. YÃ¼ksek Lisans Tezi, Yildiz Teknik Ãniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler EnstitÃ¼sÃ¼, Istanbul, 2007.
- Barhan A. IlkÃ¶gretim Okullarinda Ãgrenci GÃ¼venliginin Saglanmasi. YÃ¼ksek Lisans Tezi, Ankara Ãniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler EnstitÃ¼sÃ¼, 2007.
- Kurdpress [Internet], 2013, January,30. available from: http://www.kurdpress.com/Fa/NSite/FullStory/News/?Id=39625#. Page
- Norozi MA, Jahangiri M, Ahmadinezhad P, Zare Derisi F. Evaluation of the safety conditions of shiraz university of medical sciences educational hospitals using safety audit technique. Journal of Payavard Salamat. 2012 May 15;6(1):42-51.
- Jahangiri M, Rostamabadi A, Malekzadeh G, Fahandej Sadi A, Hamzavi G, Rasooli J, Momeni Z, Ghaem Maralani H. Occupational safety and health measures in micro-scale enterprises (MSEs) in Shiraz, Iran. Journal of occupational health. 2016(0).
- Gatua JW. Assessment of Safety Status of Physical Infrastructure (Classrooms, Dormitories, Sanitation Facilities, Laboratories and Kitchen) in Public Secondary Schools in Nairobi West Region, Kenya. Assessment. 2015; 5(3).
- Tabnaknews [Internet] . accessed 03 October 2016. Available from: http://www.tabnak.ir/fa/news/628496. Page
- Madrzykowski D, Stroup DW, Walton WD. Impact of Sprinklers on the Fire Hazard in Dormitories: Day Room Fire Experiments. US Department of Commerce, Technology Administration, National Institute of Standards and Technology; 2004 Jun.
- Flynn JD. Structure Fires in Educational Properties. National Fire Protection Association, Fire Analysis and Research Division; 2009 Aug.