Document Type: Original Articles
Background:Petrochemical wastewaters are a critical environmental challenge in industrial zones due to the amount of pollutants they release into the environment. Therefore, finding a solution for treatment of the wastewater has become the priority of the researchers. The main objective of this research is improvement of petrochemical wastewaters’ biodegradability using Fenton oxidation process and defining the effective parameters on the efficiency of this technique.Methods: In this research, the capability of Fenton method for promoting the biodegradability of hardly-decomposable wastewaters of petrochemical complexes was studied. The actual wastewater of Karoon and Maroon petrochemical complexes were used in this research. Design of the experiments and also the analysis of the experimental results were carried-out using Response Surface Methodology (RSM) with four variables and four parameters. A rector with sizes of 60, 20 and 20 cm was designed and built. The ranges of CODin, H2O2 concentration, Fe2+ dosage, and TDS variation were 1000-2500 mg/L, 1000-4000 mg/L, 500-3000 mg/L, and 4500-11500 mg/L, respectively, and the average ratio of BOD/COD in the inlet stream was 0.09.Results:The range of BOD/COD in the outlet stream was 0.19-0.37 which decreased with the COD growth. The trend of biodegradability promotion with increase in H2O2 concentration and Fe2+ dosage was ascending, while the effect of TDS on biodegradability was not noticeable.Conclusion:The optimum conditions for achieving maximum efficiency of the reactor were COD=1375 mg/L, [H2O2] = 2509.27 mg/L, [Fe2+] = 1753.49 mg/L and TDS = 8622.9 mg/L and the BOD/COD ratio was 0.32.
- Rajeshwari K, Balakrishnan M, Kansal A, Lata K, Kishore V. State-of-the-art of anaerobic digestion technology for industrial wastewater treatment. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2000;4(2):135-56.
- Guieysse B, Norvill ZN. Sequential chemicalâbiological processes for the treatment of industrial wastewaters: review of recent progresses and critical assessment. Journal of hazardous materials. 2014;267:142-52.
- Li C, Zhong S, Duan L, Song Y. Evaluation of petrochemical wastewater treatment technologies in Liaoning Province of China. Procedia Environmental Sciences. 2011;10:2798-802.
- Khaing T-H, Li J, Li Y, Wai N, Wong F-s. Feasibility study on petrochemical wastewater treatment and reuse using a novel submerged membrane distillation bioreactor. Separation and Purification Technology. 2010;74(1):138-43.
- Vafajoo L, Ghanaat F, Ghalebi A. An Investigation of a Petrochemical Wastewater Treatment Utilizing GAC: A Study of Adsorption Kinetics. APCBEE procedia. 2014;10:131-5.
- Mota A, Albuquerque L, Beltrame LC, Chiavone-Filho O, Machulek Jr A, Nascimento C. Advanced oxidation processes and their application in the petroleum industry: a review. Brazilian Journal of Petroleum and Gas. 2009;2(3).
- Mansour D, Fourcade F, Huguet S, Soutrel I, Bellakhal N, Dachraoui M, Hauchard D, Amrane A. Improvement of the activated sludge treatment by its combination with electro Fenton for the mineralization of sulfamethazine. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 2014;88:29-36.
- Liu K, Roddick FA, Fan L. Impact of salinity and pH on the UVC/H2O2 treatment of reverse osmosis concentrate produced from municipal wastewater reclamation. Water research. 2012;46(10):3229-39.
- Dixit A, Tirpude AJ, Mungray A, Chakraborty M. Degradation of 2, 4 DCP by sequential biologicalâadvanced oxidation process using UASB and UV/TiO2/H2O2. Desalination. 2011;272(1-3):265-9.
- Oller I, Malato S, Sanchez-Perez J. Combination of advanced oxidation processes and biological treatments for wastewater decontaminationâa review. Science of the total environment. 2011;409(20):4141-66.
- Babuponnusami A, Muthukumar K. A review on Fenton and improvements to the Fenton process for wastewater treatment. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 2014;2(1):557-72.
- Primo O, Rueda A, Rivero MJ, Ortiz I. An Integrated Process, Fenton Reactionâ Ultrafiltration, for the Treatment of Landfill Leachate: Pilot Plant Operation and Analysis. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 2008;47(3):946-52.
- Bianco B, De Michelis I, VegliÃ² F. Fenton treatment of complex industrial wastewater: optimization of process conditions by surface response method. Journal of hazardous materials. 2011;186(2-3):1733-8.
- Covinich LG, Bengoechea DI, Fenoglio RJ, Area MC. Advanced oxidation processes for wastewater treatment in the pulp and paper industry: a review. American Journal of Environmental Engineering. 2014;4(3):56-70.
- Li J, Luan Z, Yu L, Ji Z. Organics, sulfates and ammonia removal from acrylic fiber manufacturing wastewater using a combined Fenton-UASB (2 phase)-SBR system. Bioresource technology. 2011;102(22):10319-26.
- Arslan-Alaton I, Tureli G, Olmez-Hanci T. Treatment of azo dye production wastewaters using Photo-Fenton-like advanced oxidation processes: optimization by response surface methodology. Journal of photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry. 2009;202(2-3):142-53.
- Ferreira SC, Bruns R, Ferreira H, Matos G, David J, Brandao G, da Silva EP, Portugal L, Dos Reis P, Souza A. Box-Behnken design: an alternative for the optimization of analytical methods. Analytica chimica acta. 2007;597(2):179-86.
- Nezhdbahadori F, Abdoli MA, Baghdadi M, Ghazban F. A comparative study on the efficiency of polar and non-polar solvents in oil sludge recovery using solvent extraction. Environmental monitoring and assessment. 2018;190(7):389.
- Khuri AI, Mukhopadhyay S. Response surface methodology. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Computational Statistics. 2010;2(2):128-49.
- Birjandi N, Younesi H, Bahramifar N. Treatment of wastewater effluents from paper-recycling plants by coagulation process and optimization of treatment conditions with response surface methodology. Applied Water Science. 2016;6(4):339-48.
- Derakhshan M, Fazeli M. Improved biodegradability of hardly-decomposable wastewaters from petrochemical industry through photo-Fenton method and determination of optimum operational conditions by response surface methodology. Journal of Biological Engineering. 2018;12(1):10.
- Tekin H, Bilkay O, Ataberk SS, Balta TH, Ceribasi IH, Sanin FD, Dilek FB, Yetis U. Use of Fenton oxidation to improve the biodegradability of a pharmaceutical wastewater. Journal of hazardous materials. 2006;136(2):258-65.
- Ziagova M, Dimitriadis G, Aslanidou D, Papaioannou X, Tzannetaki EL, Liakopoulou-Kyriakides M. Comparative study of Cd (II) and Cr (VI) biosorption on Staphylococcus xylosus and Pseudomonas sp. in single and binary mixtures. Bioresource technology. 2007;98(15):2859-65.
- Collins LM, Dziak JJ, Li R. Design of experiments with multiple independent variables: A resource management perspective on complete and reduced factorial designs. Psychological methods. 2009;14(3):202.