Document Type: Original Articles
Department of Psychology and Education of Exceptional children, Shiraz University
School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
Department of Psychology and Education of Exceptional children, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
AbstractBackground: Gifted individuals have exclusive personalitytraits and need various experiences to achieve more informationabout themselves and their ability into developmental process fromgiftedness to talent. Also, they can increase mental experiencesand obtain greater self- actualization with recognition of thelevel of challenges, values and their personality traits. The aimof this study was to assess the relationship between personalitytraits, self-awareness and self-actualization dimensions.Methods: This descriptive study was conducted in Shiraz cityamong 239 gifted students from high schools during 2013. TheBig Five Personality Questionnaire (BFPQ), Self-ConsciousnessScale (SCS) and Measure of Actualization of Potential (MAP)were used to gather the data. Validity and reliability of thesetools were acceptable. Data were analyzed by regression testusing SPSS v19 statistic software.Results: The finding showed that agreeableness (r=0.34)and conscientiousness (r=0.41) factors (from five factors ofpersonality) had a positive relationship and neuroticism (r=-0.21)had a correlation with self-actualization negatively. Moreover,the privative self-awareness (r=0.41) and public self-awareness(r=0.15) showed a positive correlation and social anxiety revealeda significant negative relationship (r=-0.27) with general selfactualization.On the other hand, privative self-awarenessand agreeableness predicted that 23% of the scores belong toopenness to experience dimension (self–actualization) positively.In addition, conscientiousness and privative self-awarenesspredicted self-reference dimension positively, and neuroticismpredicted it negatively. These variables determine 40% of thescores of self reference dimension. Also, conscientiousness,agreeableness and privative self-awareness predicted that 36%of the scores belong to general self-actualization.Conclusion: Based on our study results, conscientiousnessand agreeableness factors (personality traits) had a significantrelationship with self-actualization and predicted the scores ofself-actualization. It was noted that privative self-awareness (selfawarenessdimension) had a significantly positive correlationwith self-actualization and predicted its scores.
- Gagne, F. Transforming Gifts into Talent: The DMGT as a Developmental Theory. High Ability Studies 2004; 15(2): 119-147.
- Gagne, F. Understanding the Complex Choreography of Talent Development through DMGT-Based Analysis: Chapter 4. From University Quebec a Montreal, Canada 2008.
- Pufal I & Struzik. Self-Actualization and Other Personality Dimensions as Predictors of Mental Health of Intellectually Gifted Students. Roeper Review 2010; 22: 43-45.
- Hall EG, Hansen J. SelfâActualizing Men and Women: A Comparison Study. Roeper Review 2010; 20(1): 22-27.
- Bochniak J. The Relationships between Extraversion, Self-Actualization, and Wilderness Solitude Attainment for Participants in a Wilderness Solo Experience. (Dessertation for the Degree of Master of Science in Recreation, State University of New York College at Cortland) 2007.
- Boeree C. Personality Theories: Abraham Maslow (1908-1970). Retrived from http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/maslow.html.
- Vitters J. Subjective Well-Being versus Self-Actualization: Using the Flow-Simplex to Promote a Conceptual Clarification of Subjective Quality of Life. Social Indicators Research 2003; 65: 299â33.
- Ryan RM & Deci EL. (2001). On Happiness and Human Potentials: A Review of Research on Hedonic and Eudaimonic Well-Being. Annual Review of Psychology 2001; 52: 141-166.
- Maddi SR. Personality Theories: a Comparative Analysis. California: Pacific Grove 1989.
- Guffey LF. Identifying Distinctions between Rural and Non-Rural Hometowns Relative to Self-Actualization among Undergraduate Students. (Dissertation for the Degree of the Philosophy, Saint Louis University) 2009.
- Biro K. Self-Actualization in Organizational Context and Its Promoting and Impeding Factors. (P.h D , Department of Organizational Behavior) 2009.
- Costa PT & McCrae RR. Professional Manual NEOPI-R and NEO FF-I. Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc 1992.
- Haslam N. Introduction to Personality and Intelligence. London: Sage Foundations of Psychology 2007.
- Janasz D, et al. Interpersonal Skills in Organizations:Â Journey into Self-awareness. Journal of Education 2008; 72(1997): 36-58.
- Morin A. Levels of Consciousness and Self-Awareness: A Comparison and Integration of Various Neurocognitive Views. Consciousness and Cognition 2005; (15): 358â371.
- Fahlman SH. Actualization of Giftedness: Effects of Perceptions in Gifted Adolescents. Gifted Adolescents. Retrieved November 21, 2000. Available from URL: http://www.ecbiz111.inmotionhosting.com.
- Nysted L & Ljungberg A. Facets of Private and Public Self-Consciousness Construct and Discriminant Validity. European Journal of Personality 2002; (16): 143â159.
- Fenigstein A, Scheier M & Buss A. Public and Private Self-Consciousness: Assessment and Theory. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1975; 43(4): 522-527.
- Hensly PA. Global Giftedness: Families at the Heart of Gifted Development. Conceptual Foundations 2005; 15(2): 13-15.
- Chan R & Joseph S. Dimensions of personality, domains of aspiration, and subjective well-being. Personality and Individual Differences 2000; (28): 347-354.
- Bailey CL. An Examination of the Relationships between Ego Development, Dabrowski, s Theory of Positive Disintegration and the Behavioral Characteristics of Gifted Adolesents. (Dissertation for the Degree of Philosophy, College of William and Mary in Virginia) 2009.
- Goldberg LR. From ace to zombie: Some explorations in the language of personality. In C. D. Spielberger & J. N. Butcher (Eds.), Advances in personality assessment. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum 1982; (1): 203-234.
- Realo A & Allik J. The Estonian Self-Consciousness Scale and Its Relation to the Five-Factor Model of Personality. Journal of Personality Assessment 2010; (70): 109-124.
- Lefrancois R, Leclerc G, Dube M, Herbert R & Gaulin P. The Development and Validation of a Self-Report Measure of Self-Actualization. Social Behavior and Personality 1997; 25(4): 353-336.
- Khormayi F. "Evaluation of personality model, motivational orientation and cognitive styles of learning". Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Education and Psychology, Shiraz University 2006 (Persian).
- Latifian M & Saif D. The effect of self-awareness on interpersonal disorders among students. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Shiraz University (special issue of Education), 2007; 26(3): 150- 137 (Persian).
- Avsec A & Bajec B. Validation of the Slovene Version of the Self- Consciousness Scale. Horizons of Psychology 2006; 15(1): 7-22.
- Mittleman W. Maslow's study of self-actualization: A reinterpretation. Journal of Humanistic Psychology 1991; (31): 114-135.
- Hanley SJ & Abell SC. Maslow and relatedness: Creating an interpersonal model of Self -Actualization. Journal of Humanistic Psychology 2002; (42): 37-57.
- Tiller W & Alberta C. Introduction of the Concept of Multilevel Actualization: Dabrowski and Gifted Education: Beyond over Excitabilities. (Eighth International Congress of the Institute for Positive Disintegration in Human Development) 2008.
- Ramanaiah NV, Heerboth JR & Jinkerson DL. Personality and self-actualizing profiles of assertive people. Journal of Personality Assessment 1985; (49): 440-443.
- Roeper A. Self Actualization and Interdependence in Gifted Children. Conceptual Foundations 1999; 31 (4): 7-10
- Bradley RM. A Study of Self- Actualization of Gifted
- Children in Public High School Programs. (Dissertation for the Degree of Doctor of Theology, Holos University) 2009.
- Sauder A. Exploring Adults Perception of Giftedness in Their Pursuit of Graduate Education. (Dessertation for the Degree of Master of Education, Brock University) 2009.
- Costa PT & McCrae RR. Personality in Adulthood: A Five Factor Theory Perspective. London: The Gilford Press 2003.
- Herbst R. The Relationship between Self-Actualization and Emotional Intelligence. (Dessertation for the Degree of Master Arts, University of South Africa) 2003.
- Brown KW & Ryan RM. The Benefits of Being Present: Mindfulness and Its Role in Psychological Well-Being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 2003; 84 (4): 822â848.
- Nezlek JB. Day-to-Day Relationships between Self-Awareness, Daily Events, and Anxiety. Journal of Personality 2002; 70(2): 249-276.
- Bogels SM & Lamer CTJ. The causal role of self-awareness in blushing-anxious, socially-anxious and social phobic individuals. Behavior Research and Therapy 2002; 40(12): 1367-1384.
- Shaughnessy MF, Kang MH, Greene M, Misutova M, Suomala J & Siltala R. 16pf Personality Profile of Gifted Children: Preliminary Report of an International Study. North American Journal of Psychology 2004; 6(1): 51-54.