Document Type : Original Articles
Background: The present study was conducted to investigate the relationship between socioeconomic status of parents and their knowledge, attitude and tendency toward different forms of fluoride therapy for their 7-9 year-old primary school children in Shiraz.Methods: A total of 444 subjects were selected through multi-stage random sampling. The subjects were parents of 7-9 year old boys and girls attending primary schools in 4 districts in Shiraz. They were asked to fill out a questionnaire containing a number of questions regarding their knowledge, attitudes and tendency toward fluoride therapy for their children.Results: The mean scores for parental knowledge, tendency and attitude toward fluoride therapy for their children were 8.05 ± 2.46, 3.38 ± 1.73 and 54.66 ± 5.89, respectively. As to the parental knowledge, 25.23% and 72.52% of the subjects had either poor or average knowledge, respectively. Similarly, about 32% and 39.6% of the parents had a poor or average tendency toward fluoride therapy and 42.57% and 57.43% of them held a strong or mild positive attitude toward it, respectively.Conclusions: The findings of the present study indicated that the majority of parents did not have sufficient knowledge about different types of fluoride therapy and their caries-preventive effect. They lacked a positive attitude and a strong tendency to practice fluoride therapy for their children. There was a significant association between socioeconomic status of parents and their knowledge, attitude and tendency toward fluoride therapy for their children.
- . Petersen PE. The World Oral Health Report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st centuryâthe approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Community Dentistry and oral epidemiology. 2003;31(s1):3-24.
- . Leroy R, Jara A, Martens L, Declerck D. Oral hygiene and gingival health in Flemish pre-school children. Community Dental Health. 2011;28(1):75-81.
- . WidstrÃ¶m E, Eaton K, Vanobbergen J. Oral healthcare systems in the Extended European Union, partim:[Oral Health care system in] Belgium. Oral health & preventive dentistry. 2004;2(3):155 (7)-(9) 94.
- . Cowan CA, Lazenby HC, Martin AB, McDonnell PA. National health expenditures, 1998. Health Care Financing Review. 1999;21(2):165.
- . Shamsi M, Hidarnia A, Niknami S. A Survey of Oral Health Care Behavior in Pregnant Women of Arak: Application of Health Belief Model. Journal Of Mazandaran University Of Medical Sciences. 2012;22(89):103-15.
- . Mulu W, Demilie T, Yimer M, Meshesha K, Abera B. Dental caries and associated factors among primary school children in Bahir Dar city: a cross-sectional study. BMC research notes. 2014;7(1):1.
- . Togoo RA. Early Childhood Caries-Cause, Diagnosis & Management. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research (IJHSR). 2012;1(2):148-60.
- Gorbatova M, Grjibovski A, Gorbatova L, Honkala E. Dental caries experience among 12-year-old children in Northwest Russia. Community dental health. 2012;29(1):20-4.
- . Weatherwax J, Bray K, Williams K, Gadbury Amyot C. Exploration of the relationship between parent/guardian sociodemographics, intention, and knowledge and the oral health status of their children/wards enrolled in a Central Florida Head Start Program. International journal of dental hygiene. 2015;13(1):49.55-9
- . Saleki M, Jabarifar S, Soheilipour S, Hajizadeh F. Assessing the sensitivity and responsiveness of Early Childhood OralHealth Impact Scale to routine dental treatments on life quality of preschool children in Isfahan in 2011. J Isfahan Dent Sch. 2012;7(5):688-97.
- . Jafari A, Zangooei M, Aslani S, Shamshiri A, Hesari H. The Role of Trained Mothers in Varnish Fluoride Therapy Program. Iranian Journal of Pediatric Dentistry. 2013;9(1):59-66.
- . Lingerew WM, Emiru TD, Melaku MY, Meshesha K, Beyene BA. Dental caries and associated factors among primary school children in Bahir Dar city: a cross-sectional study. BMC research notes. 2014;7(1):949.
- . Dean JA, Avery DR, McDonald RE. McDonald and Avery dentistry for the child and adolescent: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2010.
- . Daly B, Batchelor P, Treasure E, Watt R. Essential dental public health: OUP Oxford; 2013.
- . Dobaradaran S, Mahvi AH, Dehdashti S, Abadi DRV, Tehran I. Drinking water fluoride and child dental caries in Dashtestan, Iran. Fluoride. 2008;41(3):220-6.
- . Biria M, Dehghan F, Malek AB. A Comparison on Fluoride Uptake Rates in The Enamel of Permanent Teeth after Application of Cina and Ada Standard Gel (Sultan). 2004.
- . Dentistry AAoP. Guideline on fluoride therapy. Pediatric dentistry. 2013;35(5):E165.
- . Petersen PE. Oral health behavior of 6-year-old Danish children. Acta Odontologica. 1992;50(1):57-64.
- . Colak H, DÃ¼lgergil ÃT, Dalli M, Hamidi MM. Early childhood caries update: a review of causes, diagnoses, and treatments. Journal of natural science, biology, and medicine. 2013;4(1):29.
- . Kheirollai H, Mazloomi S, Haerian Ardakani A, Ahmadieh M. Evaluation of knowledge and attitude of Yazd dental students toward oral hygiene. J Shaheed Sadoughi Univ Med Sci. 1998;6(3):78-83.
- . Samadzadeh H. Dental insurance Students soon / 4 Services to Dental Insurance. Iranian Students' News Agency. 2015 2015/12/16.
- . Gheisari S. Introduction to Social Dentistry. Tehran: Iranian Dental Association; 2015.
- . Joanna B, Ewa R. Knowledge and practice of caries prevention in mothers from Bialystok, Poland. International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine & Public Health. 2012;4(4):257-66.
- . Poutanen R, Lahti S, Tolvanen M, Hausen H. Parental influence on children's oral health-related behavior. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica. 2006;64(5):286-92.
- . Nakhjavani YB, Forutan S, Nakhjavani FB. Mothersâ knowledge about fluoride therapy and fissure sealants. Journal of Oral Health and Oral Epidemiology. 2013;2(1):1-5.
- . Nazari Z, Taherpour M. Mothers' Awareness, regarding Orodental Health of their Children at age of 1-6 Years old in Shirvan. Journal of North Khorasan University of Medical Sciences. 2013;5(5):979-86.
- . Soltani R, Sharifirad G, Hassanzadeh a, Golshiri P, Barati M. Mothersâ Knowledge and Attitude on Oral Health Preschool Children in Isfahan, Iran. J Health Syst Res. 2013;9(7):712-9.
- Begzati A, Bytyci A, Meqa K, Latifi-Xhemajli B, Berisha M. Mothers' behaviours and knowledge related to caries experience of their children. Oral health & preventive dentistry. 2013;12(2):133-40.
- . Naidu R, Davis L. Parents' views on factors influencing the dental health of Trinidadian pre-school children. Community dental health. 2008;25(1):44-9.
- Naderifar M, Akbarsharifi T, Pairovi H, Haghani H. Mothers' Awareness, regarding Orodental Health of their Children at age of 1-6 Years old. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2006;19(46):15-27.
- . Khayrinamin A. Parentsâ knowledge about orodental health referred to unit peadiatric of dentistry. Persian [dissertation] Tehran: Tehran University. 2002.
- Ansari-Moghaddam S. Mothers knowledge and attitude towards factors affecting orodental health infants and children. Persian [dissertation] Zahedan: Zahedan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. 2003.
- . Martinez FG, Barrios CCS, Salinas LEM. Knowledge, attitudes and practices in oral health of parents and caregivers in children's homes in Colombia. Salud PÃºblica de Mexico. 2011;53(3):247-57.
- Ghasemi B. The knowledge of the importance of orodental health among mothers referred to Zahedan health care centers. Persian [dissertation] Zahedan: Zahedan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. 2004.
- Torabi M, Shojaee Poor R, Karimi Afshar S, Shojaat M, Karimi Afshar M, Moshrefian S. Evaluation of Parental Knowledge and Practice of Oral Hygiene Status in 7 Years Old Children in Kerman. Iranian Journal of Pediatric Dentistry. 2013;9(1):21-8.
- . Yavari P, Safari H, Akbarian H. Common Diseases Epidemiology : noncommunicable diseases. Tehran: GAP; 2014.
- Movahhed, Taraneh & Ghasemi, Hadi & Ajami, Behjatalmolook & Shakeri, Mohammad & Dehghani, Mahboobe. (2013). Knowledge of and Attitudes Toward Preventive Oral Health Care at an Iranian Population. Asian Journal of Epidemiology. . . 10.3923/aje.2013.
- Kent G, Kent G, Croucher R. Achieving oral health: The social context of dental care. Elsevier Health Sciences; 1998.
- Stadelmann P, Zemp E, Weiss C, Weiger R, Menghini G, Zitzmann NU. Dental visits, oral hygiene behaviour, and orthodontic treatment in Switzerland. Schweizer Monatsschrift fur Zahnmedizin= Revue mensuelle suisse d'odonto-stomatologie= Rivista mensile svizzera di odontologia e stomatologia. 2012;122(2):104-26.
- Al-Shammari KF, Al-Ansari JM, Al-Khabbaz AK, Honkala S. Barriers to seeking preventive dental care by Kuwaiti adults. Medical Principles and Practice. 2007;16(6):413-9.
- de Castilho AR, Mialhe FL, de Souza Barbosa T, Puppin-Rontani RM. Influence of family environment on children's oral health: a systematic review. Jornal de Pediatria (VersÃ£o em PortuguÃªs). 2013 Mar 1;89(2):116-23.