Document Type : Original Articles
Background : Implementing the healthcare reform plan in our country has forced the medical centres to pay more attention to the patients’ rights and their satisfaction. The aim of this study was to evaluate the patient's satisfaction levels and the gap between their expectations and perceptions in Shahid Rajaee Hospital in Shiraz.Methods: This cross-sectional study was performed aiming at evaluating the patient's satisfaction levels and the gap between their expectations and perceptions in Shahid Rajaee Hospital of Shiraz in 2015. In order to collect the data, 98 questionnaires were distributed among the patients using randomized sampling method; their validity and reliability were confirmed. Finally, through SPSS 20 software, we used descriptive statistics and the one-sample t-test for data analysis.Results: Results showed that amongst the patients’ perceptions, the highest mean belonged to Reliability dimension (3.50), and the lowest one to Assurance (3.23). In terms of the patient's expectations, the highest mean belonged to Reliability dimension (4.30) and the lowest one to Physical aspect (4.18). Of the 5 dimensions in this research, the largest gap between the patient’s expectations and perceptions belonged to Responsiveness, and the smallest one to Physical aspect.Conclusion: The results indicated that there was a significant difference between the patients’ expectations and perceptions, and the quality of services provided by the hospital needed further attention. It seems that it is necessary for managers and policy makers to plan for this issue and take measures to reduce these gaps in the quality and promote better health care services.
- Ebrahimnia M, Ameriyon A, Aziz abadi M, Khodami HR. The Survey on Patient`s Satisfaction at Military hospitals. Journal of Military Medicine 2010. 12 (2):101-105
- Mohammadnia M, Delgoshaei b, TofighiSh, Reyahi L, Omrani A. Evaluation of the quality of nursing services using SERVQUAL. Hospital 2015: 67-74
- Nadi A, Shojaee J, Abedi G, Siamian H, Abedini E, Rostam F. Patientsâ Expectations and Perceptions of Service Quality in the Selected Hospitals. Med Arch. 2016. 70 (2): 135-9. PMID: 27147790.
- Sabahi-Bidgoli M, Mousavi SGA, Kebriaei A, Seyyedi SH, Shahri S, Atharizadeh M. The quality of hospital services in Kashan educational hospitals during 2008-9: the patients' viewpoint. Feyz Journals of Kashan University of Medical Sciences. 2011; 15(2): 146-52
- RanjbarEzzatabadi M, Bahrami MA, ZareAhmadabadi H, Nasiri S, Arab M, Hadizadeh F, et al. Gap Analysis between Perceptions and Expectations of Service Recipients through Servqual Approach in Yazd, Afshar Hospital. TolooeBehdasht. 2010; 9(2,3): 75-86
- Heidarnia MA, Abadi A, Mohseni M. Cross cultural adaptation and assessing validity and reliability of SERVQUAL questionnaire in hospital service quality. Research in Medicine. 2014; 38(2): 98-105.
- Bahadori M, Zaboli R, Ghanbari A. Quality of services provided to veterans referred to a branch of the armed forces in Hamadan. Iranian Journal of War and Public Health. 2013; 6(1): 44-50.
- Kolorozi F, Dadgari F, Zareeyan A. The Survey on Factors Affecting Patient`s Satisfaction from Health Centers group in Tehran. Islamic Republic of Iran Army Journal 2010; 2(10): 88-138
- Tabibi SJ, Gohari MR, Shahri S, Aghababa S. Assessment of Health Care Services in outpatient clinics based on SERVQUAL model in Hospitals of Tehran. PayavardSalamat. 2012; 5(4): 49-56.
- Al-Borie H. Patientsâ satisfaction of servicequality in Saudi hospitals:a SERVQUAL analysis. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance 2013; 26(1):20-30. PMID: 23534103, DOI: 10.1108/09526861311288613
- Mohebifar R, Hasani H, Barikani A, Rafiei S. Evaluating Service Quality from PatientsâPerceptions: Application of Importanceeperformance Analysis Method. Osong Public Health and Research Perspectives 2016. 7 (4):233-8. PMID: 27635373, doi: 10.1016/j.phrp.2016.05.002
- SchoenfelderT, Klewer J, Kugler J. Determinants of patient satisfaction: a study among 39 hospitals in an in-patient setting in Germany. International Journal for Quality in Health Care 2011; 23(5): 503â9. PMID: 21715557, DOI: 10.1093/intqhc/mzr038
- Al-Abri R, Al-Balushi A. Patient Satisfaction Survey as a Tool Towards Quality Improvement.Oman Medical Journal 2014: 29(1):3-7. PMID: 24501659. doi: 10.5001/omj.2014.02
- Ajam M, Sadeghi far J, shoaei M, Mahmoodi S, Honarvar H, Mosavai S.M. Measuring the quality of health services using SERVQUAL model:A Case Study. Military Medicine; 15 (4):2013: 273-279
- Saraei H. Introduction to survey sampling, 5thSemat. Tehran, 2012.
- Farzianpoor F, Eskandari A, Alipour S, Nazari A, Goudarzi L.Patientsâ Satisfaction from Hospital staff Communication: a Case Study in Sina Hospital. Medicine and purification 2014. 23 (1):57-66
- Jolaei S, Hajibabaei F, Jalal A, BahraniN.Assessment of Patient Satisfaction from Nursing Care in Hospitals of Iran University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences 2011. 17(1): 36-44.
- Rezaei S, KaramiMatin B, Moradi K, Bijan B, Fallahi M, Shokati B, SaeidiH.Measurement of Quality of Educational Hospital Services by the SERVQUAL Model: The Iranian Patientsâ Perspective. Electronic Physician 2016. 8(3): 2101-2106. PMID: 27123218. doi: 10.19082/2101
- Kebrieyaee A, Roodbari M. Quality gap in educational services at Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Medical Education 2005. 5 (1): 53-61
- Havasbeigi F, Yasbalaghisharahi B, Mohamadi E, Mohamadi A. Measuring the Quality of Services Provided For Outpatients In Public Hospitals In Ilam and Kermanshah Cities Based on The SERVQUAL Instrument. Scientific Journal of Ilam University of Medical Sciences. 2013; 21(3): 207-14.
- Arefi M, Talaei N. Patient satisfaction in Baharloo Hospital in 2008.Journal of Paramedical Tehran University of Medical Sciences 2010. 4(1):97-103.