Document Type: Original Articles
Shiraz University of medical science
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Larestan University of Medical Sciences, Larestan, Iran
Background: Monitoring the water quality and analyzing its changes over time is an important aspect of sustainable management and development of water resources. The purpose of the present study was to analyze the trend of temporal variations in the quality of drinking water supplied from groundwater sources in Shiraz, using IRWQI (Iran Water Quality Index) as well as statistical analysis.Methodology: This study was conducted on groundwater resources in Shiraz, Iran from 2011 to 2015. 10 water quality parameters were used in this index including NO3, Fecal Coliform, EC, TH, SAR, BOD5, PO4, COD, pH, and DO, with their own weights. Repeated measure test was used in order to analyze the differences between IRWQI values between the study years.Results: The results showed that IRWQI varied between 89/96 (very good quality) and 49/51 (average quality) in the study years. The main causes of water quality decline were average to relatively high levels of hardness and nitrate. The general pattern of the changes in water quality has been accompanied by an increase and decrease, so that the water quality has improved from 2011 to 2013 but then declined until the end of the study.Conclusion: Regarding the necessity of clarifying the water quality condition and its changes and the importance of using IRWQI as an emerging national indicator, water quality analysis in different parts of the country, taking advantage of this indicator and statistical analyses will help the country promote and accelerate the integrated management of water resources quality.
- Chu H, Lu W, Zhang L. Application of Artificial Neural Network in Environmentalâ Water Quality Assessment. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. 2013;15(2):343-56.
- Srebotnjak T, Carr G, de Sherbinin A, Rickwood C. A global Water Quality Index and hot-deck imputation of missing data. Ecological Indicators. 2012;17:108-19.
- Nikpeyman V, Mohammadzadeh H. Application of Groundwater Quality Index (GQI) to assess the spatial variation in Mashhad Basin, Iran. 1st national conference of underground resources excavation engeneering, Shahrood. 2013.
- Pei-Yue L, Hui Q, Jian-Hua W. Groundwater quality assessment based on improved water quality index in Pengyang County, Ningxia, Northwest China. Journal of Chemistry. 2010;7(1):209-16.
- Teklu BM, Hailu A, Wiegant DA, Scholten BS, Van den Brink PJ. Impacts of nutrients and pesticides from small-and large-scale agriculture on the water quality of Lake Ziway, Ethiopia. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2018;25(14):13207-16.
- Mianabadi H. A Review of International Regulations of Water. In: s.l., editor. 7th national congress of civil engineering, Zahedan; June 17 and 18; Zahedan. Sistan va bloochestan: Shahid Nikbakht faculty of engineering; 2013. p. 1-8.
- Qadir M, Bahri A, Sato T, Al-Karadsheh E. Wastewater production, treatment, and irrigation in Middle East and North Africa. Irrigation and Drainage Systems. 2010;24(1-2):37-51.
- Boyacioglu H. Development of a water quality index based on a European classification scheme. Water Sa. 2007;33(1):101-6.
- Darko FH, Ansa-Asare O, Paintsil A. A Number Description of Ghanaian Water QualityâA Case Study of the Southwestern and Coastal Rivers Systems of Ghana. Journal of Environmental Protection. 2013;4(7):1318-27.
- Nasseri M, Tajrishy M, Nikoo Mr, Zaherpour J. Recognition and Spatial Mapping of Multivariate Groundwater Quality Index using Combined Fuzzy Method. Iran J water and waste 2011;1:82-93.
- Soroush F, Mousavi S, Gharechahi A. A fuzzy industrial water quality index: case study of Zayandehrud river system. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology Transactions of Civil Engineering. 2011;35(C1):131.
- Tatawat R, Chandel CS. Quality of ground water of Jaipur city, Rajasthan (India) and its suitability for domestic and irrigation purpose. Applied ecology and environmental research. 2008;6(2):79-88.
- Dehghanifard E, Baneshi MM, Gholikandi GB, Dehnavi A, Asgari AR, Khazaei M, et al. Application of Water Quality Index for Quality Zoning. Archives of Hygiene Sciences 2012;1(1):20-5.
- Lermontov A, Yokoyama Ld, Lermontov M, Machado MAS. River quality analysis using fuzzy water quality index: Ribeira do Iguape river watershed, Brazil. Ecological Indicators. 2009;9:1188-97.
- AbrahÃ£o R, Carvalho M, da Silva Jr W, Machado T, Gadelha C, Hernandez M. Use of index analysis to evaluate the water quality of a stream receiving industrial effluents. Water SA. 2007;33(4).
- Jafari A, Choobineh A, Jahangiri M, Keshavarzi S. An index developed for the assessment of occupational health and safety at workplace: A field study in a heavy automotive industry in the northwest of Iran. Journal of health sciences and surveillance system. 2018;5(2):86-93.
- Nikoonahad A, Moazed H, Kazembeigi F. Comparing Inices for Selecting the Best Index for Karkheh Dam. Iran J water res. 2010;4:69-73.
- Song T, Kim K. Development of a water quality loading index based on water quality modeling. Journal of environmental management. 2009;90(3):1534-43.
- Nasirian M. A new water quality index for environmental contamination contributed by mineral processing: a case study of Amang (Tin Tailing) processing activity. Journal of applied sciences. 2007;7(20):2977-87.
- Semiromi FB, Hassani A, Torabian A, Karbassi A, Lotfi FH. Water quality index development using fuzzy logic: A case study of the Karoon River of Iran. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2011;10(50):10125-33.
- Salim BJ, Bidhendi GN, Salemi A, Masoud Taheryioun1 MA. Water Quality Assessment of Gheshlagh River Using Water Quality Indices. Iranian Journal of Environmental Sceince. 2009;6(4):19-28.
- Khan F, Hosien T, Lumb A. Water Quality Evaluation and Trend Analysis in Selected Watersheds of the Atlantic Region of Canada. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 2003;88(5):221-42.
- Hamedi H, Mobarghai N, Soufizadeh S, Rasouli S. Survey of qualitative conditions and seasonal variation of the urban watercourses pollutants. J Mater Environ Sci. 2015;6(2):322-32.
- Samadi J. Survey of Spatial-Temporal Impact of Quantitative and Qualitative of Land Use Wastewaters on Choghakhor Wetland Pollution Using IRWQI Index and Statistical Methods. Iran-Water Resources Research. 2016;11(3):159-71.
- Sadeghi M, Bay A, Bay N, Soflaie N, Mehdinejad MH, Mallah M. The survey of Zarin-Gol River water quality in Golestan Province using NSF-WQI and IRWQISC. Journal of Health in the Field. 2015;3(3).
- Nayyeri H, Zandi S. Water quality status of Tarwal River in Kurdestan province using IRWQIsc index and quality zoning based on IDW interpolation model. Buletin Teknologi Tanaman. 2015;12:242-8.
- Pourshahabi S, Talebbeydokhti N, Rakhshandehroo G, Nikoo MR. Spatio-Temporal Multi-Criteria Optimization of Reservoir Water Quality Monitoring Network Using Value of Information and Transinformation Entropy. Water Resources Management. 2018:1-16.
- Hajatpoor K, Moslehi I. Evaluation and Zoning of Grounwater of Golgir Plain in Masjedsoleiman Using IRWQI. First National Conference of Water Resources Quality and Sustainable Development; Arak, Iran: Arak University; 2015.
- Javid A, Ghomimaghsad N, Roodbari A. Toxicity Evaluation in Groundwater Resources Using IRWQIGT (Case Study of Semnan). Iran J Water and Wastewater. 2015 (4):75-83.
- Ramakrishnaiah C, Sadashivaiah C, Ranganna G. Assessment of water quality index for the groundwater in Tumkur Taluk, Karnataka State, India. Journal of Chemistry. 2009;6(2):523-30.
- Protection DoE. Iran Resource Water Quality Index calculation manual Iran: Department of Environmental Protection; 2015 [cited 2017]. Available from: http://www.doe.ir/Portal/file/?696074/%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%87%D9%86%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%8A-%D9%85%D8%AD%D8%A7%D8%B3%D8%A8%D9%87-%DA%A9%D9%8A%D9%81%D9%8A%D8%AA-%D9%85%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%A8%D8%B9-%D8%A2%D8%A8.pdf.
- American Public Health Association AWWA, Water Environment Federation. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater: American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Environment Federation; 2005 [cited 2017]. 20th:[Available from: http://www.mwa.co.th/download/file_upload/SMWW_1000-3000.pdf.