Document Type: Original Article
Associate professor of pediatrics, Department of Medical ethics,Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,Shiraz,Iran
General Physician,Department of Medical Ethics, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Introduction: Mistreatment with medical students is a global phenomenon, which has been proved in several studies. The aim of this study is to investigate the extent of mistreatment that the medical students experience in educational hospitals of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was carried out using descriptive-analytical method. All medical students were studied in educational hospitals of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences by census method. A questionnaire with 26 questions was used to collect data on demographic information, experience of mistreatment and observation of mistreatment towards the other students and open-ended questions. Data were analyzed using SPSS version 18 software.
Results: The results of the study showed that 86.3% of the students experienced at least one kind of mistreatment during the previous year; among these misbehaved students 57.5% were female and 42.5% were male. The most cases of mistreatment were verbal mistreatment (95.1%) and abuse of authority (76.2%). The highest number of mistreatment has taken place in obstetrics and gynecology(OB-GYN) departments (60.3%) and in internal departments (49.2%), respectively; most of the individuals who misbehaved toward the students were residents (73%),nurses (66.7%), and interns (60.3).
Conclusion: Regarding the high prevalence of mistreatment against medical students, there is a need for a plan for training communication skills and more support for students in this field.
- Owoaje ET, Uchendu OC, Ige OK. Experiences of mistreatment among medical students in a University in south west Nigeria. Nijer J of Clinical Practice. 2012; Apr; 15(2):214-219.
- Assadi SM, Nakhaei MR, Najafi F, Fazel S. Mental health in three generations of Iranian medical students and doctors. A cross-sectional study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2007; Jan;42(1):57-60.
- Shizuko NK, Miho SM, Wari YM, Eiji G, Osamu FK, Teruo IN, et al. Medical Student Abuse During Clinical Clerkships in Japan. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(8):212-8.
- Daugherty SR, Baldwin DC Jr, Rowley BD. Learning, satisfaction and mistreatment during medical internship: A national survey of working conditions. Survey of Anesthesiology. 1998; 43(1):1194-9.
- Haviland MG, Yamagata H, Werner LS, Zhang K, Dial TH, Sonne JL. Student mistreatment in medical school and planning a career in academic medicine. Teach Learn Med. 2011; Jul;23(3):231-7.
- Frank E, Carrera JS, Stratton T, Bickel J, Nora LM. Experiences of belittlement and harassment and their correlates among medical students in the United States: Longitudinal survey. BMJ. 2006;333:682–688.
- Maida AM, Vasquez A, Herskovic V, et al. A report on student abuse during medical training. Medical Teacher 2003; 25(5):497-501. doi: 10.1080/01421590310001605615. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
- Fnais N, Soobiah C, Chen MH, Lillie E, Perrier L, Tashkhandi M, et al. Harassment and discrimination in medical training: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acad Med. 2014;89(5):817-27. doi:10.1097/ACM.0000000000000200
- Joyce MF, Michelle VE, Neil HP, Sebastian UD. Eradicating Medical Student Mistreatment:A Longitudinal Study of One Institution s Efforts. Acad Med. 2012; Sept;87(9):1191-1198.
- Shoukat S, Anis M, Kella DK, et al. Prevalence of Mistreatment or Belittlement among Medical Students – A Cross Sectional Survey at a Private Medical School in Karachi, Pakistan. PLoS One. 2010 ;5(10):e13429.
- Rautio, A., Sunnari, V., Nuutinen, M., & Laitala, M. Mistreatment of university students most common during medical studies. BMC Medical Education. 2005; 5:36.
- Coleman DL, Dodge KA, Campbell SK. Where And How To Draw The Line Between Reasonable Corporal Punishment And Abuse. Law Contemp Probl. 2010;73(2):107–166. Shizuko NK, Miho SM, Wari YM, Eiji G, Osamu FK, Teruo IN, et al. Medical Student Abuse During Clinical Clerkships in Japan. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(8):212-8.
- Association of American Medical Colleges. Medical School Graduation Questionnaire(GQ): 2012 All Schools Summary Report. Association of American Medical Colleges; Washington, DC: available at https://www.aamc.org/7728/data/2012 survey.pdf.
- Uhari M, Kokkonen J, Nuutinen M, Vainionp L, Rantala H, Lautala P, Vyrynen M: Medical student abuse: An international phenomenon. JAMA .1994; 271:1049-1051.
- Margittai KJ, Moscarello R, Rossi MF. Forensic aspects of medical student abuse: A Canadian perspective. Bull Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 1996;24:377–385.
- Richardson DA, Becker M, Frank RR, Sokol RJ: Assessing medical students' perceptions of mistreatment in their second and third years. Acad Med. 1997; 72:728-730.