Document Type: Original Article
1Department of Chemical Enginerring, Arak Branch, Islamic Azad University, Arak, Iran
Department of Chemical Engineering, Arak Branch, Islamic Azad University, Arak, Iran
Department of soil science, Arak Branch, Islamic Azad University, Arak, Iran
High concentration of heavy metals and NO
vegetables may pose serious health risks to humans. Therefore,
this research was done to evaluate the carcinogenic and non-
carcinogenic risk of heavy metals and NO
due to the consumption
of most important greenhouse vegetables produced in Markazi
In this descriptive study, sampling of cucumber,
tomato, and bell pepper produced in the greenhouses of Markazi
province was done randomly and the concentration of Pb, Cd, Cu,
Ni and NO
of them were determined. Non-cancer risk related to
heavy metals and NO
sorption from vegetables was evaluated
using the EPA method for men and women.
The mean concentration of all the studied metals
except Cu was in the allowable concentration range. The mean
concentration of NO
in the cucumber was 300 mg/kg FW,
which was about 1.5 times higher than the maximum allowable
concentration of that in vegetables. The HQ of Pb, Cd, Ni, Cu and
for all population groups were smaller than 1. The results
showed that NO
and Pb were the major risk contributor for the
consumers. The excess lifetime cancer risks of Ni for all receptor
groups were greater than 1×10
The results of this study showed that the total
risk index of heavy metals and NO
through consumption of
greenhouse vegetables grown in Markazi province was below
one. Also, in the most age groups this index is greater for women
related to the men.
- Margenat A, Matamoros V, Díez S, Cañameras N, Comas J, Bayona JM. Occurrence and human health implications of chemical contaminants in vegetables grown in peri-urban agriculture. Environ Int. 2019; 124:49-57.
- Mehmood A, Mirza MA, Choudhary MA, Kim K-H, Raza W, Raza N, et al. Spatial distribution of heavy metals in crops in a wastewater irrigated zone and health risk assessment. Environ Res. 2019; 168:382-88.
- Waheed H, Ilyas N, Iqbal Raja N, Mahmood T, Ali Z. Heavy metal phyto-accumulation in leafy vegetables irrigated with municipal wastewater and human health risk repercussions. Int J Phytoremediation. 2019; 21(2):170-79.
- Clarke-Lambert S, Saint Hilaire D, Stock J, Salako O, Lebetkin M, Nasimov U, et al. The impact of fertilizers on the uptake of manganese in Cherry Belle radish plants: implications for human health. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2019; 26(10):10414-28.
- Njuguna SM, Makokha VA, Yan X, Gituru RW, Wang Q, Wang J. Health risk assessment by consumption of vegetables irrigated with reclaimed waste water: A case study in Thika (Kenya). J Environ Manage. 2019; 231:576-81.
- Shah GM, Tufail N, Bakhat HF, Ahmad I, Shahid M, Hammad HM, et al. Composting of municipal solid waste by different methods improved the growth of vegetables and reduced the health risks of cadmium and lead. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2019; 26(6):5463-74.
- Khoshgoftarmanesh AH, Aghili F, Sanaeiostovar A. Daily intake of heavy metals and nitrate through greenhouse cucumber and bell pepper consumption and potential health risks for human. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009; 60:199-208.
- Zeegers MP, Selen RF, Kleinjans JC, Goldbohm RA, van den Brandt PA. Nitrate intake does not influence bladder cancer risk: the Netherlands cohort study. Environ Health Perspective 2006; 114(10):1527-31.
- Bi C, Zhou Y, Chen Z, Jia J, Bao X. Heavy metals and lead isotopes in soils, road dust and leafy vegetables and health risks via vegetable consumption in the industrial areas of Shanghai, China. Sci Total Environ. 2018; 619-620:1349-57.
- Li X, Li Z, Lin C-J, Bi X, Liu J, Feng X, et al. Health risks of heavy metal exposure through vegetable consumption near a large-scale Pb/Zn smelter in central China. Ecotox Environ Safe. 2018; 161:99-110.
- Islam S, Rahman MM, Islam M, Naidu RJ. Arsenic accumulation in rice: Consequences of rice genotypes and management practices to reduce human health risk. Environ Int. 2016; 96:139-55.
- Meng J, Tao M, Wang L, Liu X, Xu J. Changes in heavy metal bioavailability and speciation from a Pb-Zn mining soil amended with biochars from co-pyrolysis of rice straw and swine manure. Sci Total Environ. 2018; 633:300-07.
- Wongsanit J, Teartisup P, Kerdsueb P, Tharnpoophasiam P, Worakhunpiset S. Contamination of nitrate in groundwater and its potential human health: a case study of lower Mae Klong river basin, Thailand. J Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2015; 22(15):11504-12.
- Khan S, Rehman S, Khan AZ, Khan MA, Shah MT. Soil and vegetables enrichment with heavy metals from geological sources in Gilgit, northern Pakistan. Ecotox Environ Safe. 2010; 73(7):1820-27.
- Chary NS, Kamala C, Raj DSS. Assessing risk of heavy metals from consuming food grown on sewage irrigated soils and food chain transfer. Ecotox and Environ Safe. 2008; 69(3):513-24.
- Salehipour Baversad M, Ghorbani H, Afyuni M, Kheirabadi H. The Potential Risk Assessment of Heavy Metals on Human Health in Some Agricultural Products in Isfahan Province. J Water Soil Sci. 2014; 18(67):71-81.
- Babaakbari M, Shakouri M, Hasani A. Assessing heavy metals risk indices caused by vegetable consumption in varamin city. J Soil Manage Sustain Product. 2019; 9(1):119-33.
- Hu W, Huang B, Shi X, Chen W, Zhao Y, Jiao W. Accumulation and health risk of heavy metals in a plot-scale vegetable production system in a peri-urban vegetable farm near Nanjing, China. Ecotox Environ Safe. 2013; 98:303-09.
- Mahmood A, Malik RN. Human health risk assessment of heavy metals via consumption of contaminated vegetables collected from different irrigation sources in Lahore, Pakistan. Arabian J Chem. 2014; 7(1):91-99.
- Liu X, Song Q, Tang Y, Li W, Xu J, Wu J, et al. Human health risk assessment of heavy metals in soil–vegetable system: a multi-medium analysis. Sci Total Environ. 2013; 463:530-40.
- Khan S, Farooq R, Shahbaz S, Khan MA, Sadique M. Health risk assessment of heavy metals for population via consumption of vegetables. World Appl Sci J. 2009; 6(12):1602-06.
- Aghili F, Khoshgoftarmanesh AH, Afyuni M, Schulin R. Health risks of heavy metals through consumption of greenhouse vegetables grown in central Iran. Human Ecol Risk Assess. 2009; 15(5):999-1015.
- Gary C, editor Crop stresses and their management in greenhouse production. VI International Symposium on Protected Cultivation in Mild Winter Climate: Product Process Innovation 614; 2002.
- Gruda N. Impact of environmental factors on product quality of greenhouse vegetables for fresh consumption. Critical Review Plant Sci. 2005; 24(3):227-47.
- Arfaeinia H, Ranjbar Vakil Abadi D, Seifi M, Asadgol Z, Hashemi SE. Study of Concentrations and Risk Assessment of Heavy Metals Resulting From the Consumption of Agriculture Product in Different Farms of Dayyer City, Bushehr. Iran South Med J. 2016; 19(5):839-54.
- Sadaghiani MR, Kazemalilou HK-MB-S. Influence of PGPR Bacteria and Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi on Growth and some Physiological Parameters of Onopordon acanthium in a Cd-Contaminated Soil. J Water Soil. 2016; 30(2):542-54.
- Yang J, Chen L, Liu L-z, Shi W-l, Meng X-Z. Comprehensive risk assessment of heavy metals in lake sediment from public parks in Shanghai. Ecotox Environ Safe. 2014; 102:129-35.
- Tabande L, Taheri M. Evaluation of Exposure to Heavy Metals Cu, Zn, Cd and Pb in Vegetables Grown in the Olericultures of Zanjan Province's Fields. Iran J Health Environ. 2016; 9(1):41-56.
- Haftbaradaran S, Khoshgoftarmanesh AH, Malakouti MJ. Potential health impacts from different vegetable nitrate intake scenarios and providing strategies to manage the risks for Iranian population. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2018; 25(25):25432-42.
- Kheirabadi H, Afyuni M, Ayoubi S, Soffianian A. Risk Assessment of Heavy Metals in Soils and Major Food Crops in the Province of Hamadan. J Water Soil Sci. 2016; 19(74):27-38.
- Yeganeh M, Afyuni M, Khoshgoftarmanesh A-H, Soffianian A-R, Schulin R. Health risks of metals in soil, water, and major food crops in Hamedan Province, Iran. Human Ecol Risk Assess. 2012; 18(3):547-68.
- Baghaie AH, Aghili F. Health risk assessment of Pb and Cd in soil, wheat, and barley in Shazand County, central of Iran. J Environ Health Sci Eng. 2019:1-11.
- Ravankhah N, Mirzaei R, Masoum S. Human health risk assessment of heavy metals in surface soil. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2016; 26 (136): 109-120.
- Ostapczuk P, Valenta P, Rützel H, Nürnberg H. Application of differential pulse anodic stripping voltammetry to the determination of heavy metals in environmental samples. Sci Total Environ. 1987; 60:1-16.
- Sajad MA, Khan MS, Khan MAS. 48. Evaluation of lead phytoremediation potential of Rumex dentatus: a greenhouse experiment. Pure Appl Biol (PAB). 2019; 8(2):1499-504.
- Zafarzadeh A, Rahimzadeh H. Concentration of cadmium, lead, zinc and copper in the cucumber and tomatoe in Northern Iran. J Gorgan Univer Med Sci. 2015; 17(1):77-83.
- Nazemi S, ASGARI AR, Raei M. Survey the amount of heavy metals in cultural vegetables in suburbs of Shahroud. Iran J Health Environ. 2010; 3(2): 195-202.
- Tokalıoğlu Ş, Kartal Ş. Multivariate analysis of the data and speciation of heavy metals in street dust samples from the Organized Industrial District in Kayseri (Turkey). Atmospheric Environ. 2006; 40(16):2797-805.
- Elbagermi M, Edwards H, Alajtal A. Monitoring of heavy metal content in fruits and vegetables collected from production and market sites in the Misurata area of Libya. ISRN Anal Chem. 2012; 2012:1-5.
- Sonmez S, Kaplan M, Sonmez NK, Kaya H, Uz I. High level of copper application to soil and leaves reduce the growth and yield of tomato plants. Scientia Agricola. 2006; 63(3):213-18.
- Kaplan M. Accumulation of copper in soils and leaves of tomato plants in greenhouses in Turkey. J Plant Nutr. 1999; 22(2):237-44.
- Aghili F, Khoshgoftarmanesh A, Afyuni M, Mobli M. Mineral and ascorbic acid concentrations of greenhouse-and field-grown vegetables: implications for human health. Int J Vegetable Sci. 2012; 18(1):64-77.
- Lin Y-W, Liu T-S, Guo H-Y, Chiang C-M, Tang H-J, Chen H-T, et al. Relationships between Cd concentrations in different vegetables and those in arable soils, and food safety evaluation of vegetables in Taiwan. Soil Sci Plant Nutr. 2015; 61(6):983-98.
- Yeganeh M, Bazargan K. Human health risks arising from nitrate in potatoes consumed in Iran and calculation nitrate critical value using risk assessment study. Human Ecol Risk Assess. 2016; 22(3):817-24.
- Miranzadeh Mahabadi H, Ramroudi M, Asgharipour M, Rahmani H, Afyuni M. Assessment of Heavy Metals Contamination and the Risk of Target Hazard Quotient in Some Vegetables in Isfahan. Pollut. 2020; 6(1):69-78.
- Doabi SA, Karami M, Afyuni M, Yeganeh M. Pollution and health risk assessment of heavy metals in agricultural soil, atmospheric dust and major food crops in Kermanshah province, Iran. Ecotox Environ Safe. 2018; 163:153-64.