Document Type: Original Article

Authors

1 Ali Sabz Tajari(M.sc), Department of Health Service administration, South Tehran Branch Islamic Azad university, Tehran, Iran.

2 Associate Professor of Healthcare Services Management Department of Healthcare Services Management School of Health Management& Information Sciences Iran university of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran

3 Department of Health Service administration, South Tehran Branch Islamic Azad university, Tehran, Iran.

Abstract

Background: Millions of people around the world suffer from occupational accidents each year, many of whom become disabled or die. The purpose of this research was to study work-related accidents and its effects on the costs incurred by Social Security Organization (SSO) of Iran during the years 2012-2016.
Methods: This comparative-descriptive study examined the insurance and medical costs of approximately 96,000 occupational accidents registered in the SSO systems over the period of 2012-16. Data were collected through statistical forms and Medical Commissions Comprehensive System, as well as the data recorded in the SSO systems. The collected data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, Excel software, and SPSS 22. Pearson correlation test was used to investigate the relationship between work-related accidents and the research variables (short-term and long-term medical costs and lost working years).
Results: Findings indicated that an average of 115 people (0.59%) die each year from work-related accidents. Occupational accidents also lead to total disability of 176 people (0.91%) and partial disability of 292 people (1.5%) per year. About 5% of the victims (998 people) receive lump sum payments as compensation for permanent impairment and 92% (17665 people) fully recover from job injuries. Work-related accidents impose an average financial burden of about IIR 147 billion annually on SSO as short-term costs, about IIR 247 billion as inpatient and outpatient treatment costs, and about IIR 497 billion as long-term costs. Overall,

Keywords

1-Mehrparvar A, Mirmohammadi S, Ghovve M, Hajian H, Dehghan M, Nabi Meybodi R et al . Epidemiologic study of occupational accidents recorded in Yazd province in the years 2007-2008. tkj. 2012; 3 (3) : 54-62.

2- Mazloumi A. Investigating and determining the effective factors of work-related accidents. 2017: 14-55.

3-Lundberg J,Rollenhagen C,Hollnagel E,Rankin A.Strategies for dealing with resistance to recommendationsfrom accident investigations. Accident Analysis & Prevention 2012; 45: 455- 67.

4-Kim J,Moon I.Strategic design of hydrogen infrastructure considering cost and safety using multiobjective

optimization. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2008; 33 (21): 5887- 96.

5- Zahedi  Sh. Industrial Relations of labor, worker, employer. Tehran.  University Publication Center 1988: 6 .

6- Manzey D, Marold J. Occupational accidents and safety: The challenge of globalization. Journal of Safety

Science 2009; 47 (6): 723-26.

7- Macedo AC, Silva IL. Analysis of occupationalaccidents in Portugal between 1992 and 2001.Safety Science 2005; 43(5–6): 269-286.

8-ILO. Safety and health at work: International Labour Organization 2016. Available from: http://www.ilo.org/global/topics/safety-and-health-at-work/lang--en/index.htm

9-Shalini R. Economic cost of occupational accidents: Evidence from a small island economy. Journal of SafetyScience 2009; 47(2): 973-9.

 

10- Cheng CW, Leu SS, Cheng YM, Wu TC, Lin   CC. Applying data mining techniques to explorefactors contributing to occupational injuries inTaiwan's construction industry. Accident Analysis& Prevention 2012; 48(0): 214-222.

 

11- Hämäläinen P, Takala J, Saarela KL.. Globalestimates of occupational accidents. Safety Science2006; 44(2): 137-156.

12-International Labour Organization. Prevetion of occupational accident. Tehran: Social security institute;2002.[Persian]

13- ILO, Improvement of national reporting,data collection and analysis of occupational accidents and diseases. 1, ed. 1. 2012, Geneva:  67 .

 

14-Social Security Statistical Yearbook 2016: 125-134.

15-Medical Commission Index of Social Security Organization 2017: 283.

16-Social security organization. Social security regulations. Social security institute. 2005.[Persian]

17- Koupal R, Abedi Z, Ghazi S, Mohammad Fam I. Estimation of the financial burden of work-related accidents on the Social Security Organization in Yazd Province from 1999 to 2009. Toloue Behdasht, 2014; 13 (2): 49-57.

18- Atrkar roushan S, Alizadeh S. Estimation of economic costs of accidents at work in Iran: A case study of occupational accidents in 2012. ioh. 2015; 12 (1) : 12-19.