Document Type : Original Article
Research Center for Health Sciences, Institute of Health, Department of Medical Entomology and Vector Control, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Basic Sciences in Infectious Diseases Research Center, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Environmental Health, Mamasani Higher Education Complex for Health, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Jahrom University of Medical Sciences, Jahrom, Iran
Background: Anti-Toxoplasma antibodies were identified in female university students referred to Valie-Asr hospital of Mamasani from Azad and Payame-Noor Universities, using serological and molecular methods.
Methods: Based on the prevalence and characteristics method, 504 serum samples were collected from female university students, during 2015, and evaluated by Enzyme-Linked Immun-Sorbent Assay (ELISA), Modified Agglutination Test (MAT), and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) based on B1 gene for detection of Toxoplasma gondii. The data were analyzed using SPSS 19 software.
Results: Out of 504 studied female students, 27 (5.36%) and 36 (7.14%) cases were found to be positive for anti-Toxoplasma IgG antibodies by MAT and ELISA, respectively. Moreover, 5 (0.99%) cases were found to be positive for anti-Toxoplasma IgM. PCR detected the Toxoplasma DNA in 58 out of 504 (11.51%) samples.
Conclusions: Findings of the current study revealed that Toxoplasma was a common infection among female university students in Mamasani district in Fars province. Seronegative individuals are at risk for the disease, as well as congenital toxoplasmosis in later stages of their life. Preventive measures should be taken to reduce the rate of infection.
- Barazesh A, Sarkari B, Mehrabi Sisakht F, Abdolahi Khabisi S, Nikbakht R, Ravanbod MR. Seroprevalence and Molecular Evaluation of Toxoplasmosis in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy for Malignancies in the Bushehr Province, Southwest Iran. Jundishapur J Microbiol. 2016; 9(9): e35410.
- Arefkhah N, Goodarzi R, Rezaei Z, Layegh Gigloo A, Sarkari B. Low prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection among children in a rural community in Fars province, southern Iran. Infez Med. 2019; 27(3): 322-327.
- Hill DE, Chirukandoth S, Dubey JP. Biology and epidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii in man and animals. Anim Health Res Rev. 2005; 6: 41-61.
- Asgari Q, Motazedian MH, Esmaeelzadeh B, Kalantari M, Hatam GHR. The prevalence of Toxoplasma infection among free-ranging chickens in Southern Iran using IFA and nested-PCR. Iran J Parasitol. 2009; 4: 29-36.
- Davami MH, Pourahmad M, Baharlou R, Sotoodeh Jahromi A, Ahmadi Vasmejani A, Solhjoo K, et al. Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma infection in blood donors in Jahrom District, southern Iran. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2015; 5(12): 1060-1064.
- Asgari Q, Mohammadpour I, Pirzad R, Kalantari M, Motazedian MH, Naderi Sh. Molecular and Serological Detection of Toxoplasma gondii in Stray Cats in Shiraz, South-central, Iran. Iran J Parasitol. 2018; 13(3): 430-439.
- Tanyüksel M, Uzun Ö, Araz E, Koru Ö, Babür C. Possible role of toxoplasmosis in patients with first-episode schizophrenia. Turk J Med Sci. 2010; 40: 399-404.
- Alvarado-Esquivel C, Mercado-Suarez MF, Rodríguez-Briones A, Fallad-Torres L, Ayala-Ayala JO, Nevarez-Piedra LJ, et al. Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii in healthy blood donors of Durango, Mexico. BMC Infect Dis. 2007; 7: 75.
- Sarkari B, Yaghoobi K, Mansouri M, Asgari Q, Abdolahi khabisi S. Seroprevalence and genotyping of Toxoplasma gondii in wild boars (Sus scrofa) from south western Iran. Jundishapur J Microbiol. 2017; 10(1): e39516.
- Salahi-Moghaddam A, Hafizi A. A serological study on Toxoplasma gondii infection among people in south of Tehran, Iran. Korean J Parasitol. 2009; 47: 61-3.
- Mostafavi SN, Ataei B, Nokhodian Z, Yaran M, Babak A. Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii infection in Isfahan province, central Iran: A population based study. J Res Med Sci. 2011; 16: 496-501.
- Asgari Q, Fekri M, Monabati A, Kalantary M, Mohammadpour I, Motazedian MH, et al. Molecular genotyping of Toxoplasma gondii in human spontaneous aborted fetuses in Shiraz, southern Iran. Iran. J Public Health 2013; 42: 620-625.
- Dubey JP, Desmonts G. Serological responses of equids fed Toxoplasma gondii oocysts. Equine Vet J. 1987; 19: 337-339.
- Sarkari B, Shafiei R, Zare M, Sohrabpour S, Kasraian L. Seroprevalence and molecular diagnosis of Toxoplasma gondii infection among blood donors in southern Iran. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2014; 8: 543-7.
- Moshfe A, Arefkhah N, Sarkari B, Kazemi S, Mardani A. Toxoplasma gondii in Blood Donors: A Study in Boyer-Ahmad County, Southwest Iran. Hindawi Int Perspect Infec Dis. 2018; ID 3813612, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3813612.
- Elsheikha HM, Azab MS, Abousamra NK, Rahbar MH, Elghannam DM, Raafat D. Seroprevalence of and risk factors for Toxoplasma gondii antibodies among asyptomatic blood donors in Egypt. Parasitol Res. 2009; 104: 1471-6.
- Mostafavi N, Ataei B, Nokhodian Z, Monfared LJ, Yaran M, Ataie M, et al. Toxoplasma gondii infection in women of childbearing age of Isfahan, Iran: A population-based study. Adv Biomed Res. 2012; 1: 60.
- Hatam G, Shamseddin A, Nikouee F. Seroprevalence of toxo-plasmosis in high school girls in Fasa district, Iran. Iran J Immunol. 2005;2: 177-81.
- Salahi-Moghaddam A, Hafizi A. A serological study on Toxoplasma gondii infection among people in south of Tehran,.Iran. Korean J Parasitol. 2009; 47: 61-3.
- Mostafavi SN, Ataei B, Nokhodian Z, Yaran M, Babak A. Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii infection in Isfahan province, central Iran: a population based study. J Res Med Sci. 2011; 16: 496-501.
- Fouladvand M, Barazesh A, Naeimi B, Zandi K, Tajbakhsh S. Seroprevalence of toxoplasmosis in high school girls in Bushehr city, south-west of Iran. Afr J Microbiol Res. 2010;4: 1117-21.
- Keshavarz H, Mohebali M, Arshi SH. Seroepidemiologic study of human Toxoplasma infection in residents of Meshkin-Shahr. J Sch Pub Health Inst Pub Health Res. 2003;1: 57-72.
- Asgari Q, Mehrabani D, Moazeni M, Akrami Mohajeri F, Kalantari M, Motazedian MH, et al. The soroprevalence of bovine toxoplasmosis in Fars province, southern Iran. Asian J Anim Vet Adv. 2010; 5: 210-6.
- Mandell GL, Bennett JE, Churchill Dolin R. Mandell, Douglas and Bennett’s principles and practice of infectious diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Churchhill Livingston Elsevier; 2010; p. 4028.
- Asgari Q, Mehrabani D, Motazedian MH, Kalantari M, Nouroozi J, Adnani Sadati SJ. The viability and infectivity of Toxoplasma gondii tachyzoites in dairy products undergoing food processing. Asian J Anim Sci. 2011; 5: 202-207.
- Asgari Q, Moazzeni M, Akrami Mohajeri F, Kalantari M, Zarifi M, Ghalebi SR, et al. Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii among caprines in Fars province, Southern Iran. J Vet Parasitol. 2007; 21: 153-155.
- Asgari Q, Sarnevesht J, Kalantari M, Adnani Sadat SJ, Motazedian MH, Sarkari B. Molecular survey of Toxoplasma infection in sheep and goat from Fars province, Southern Iran. Trop Anim Health Prod. 2011; 43: 389-392.
- Mansouri F, Mahdavian B, Hashemian AH. Epidemiology of toxoplasmosis in Kermanshah province. Behbood 2003;17: 12-9.