Document Type : Original Article
Department of Environment, Ardabil Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ardabil, Iran
Department of Agriculture, Ardabil Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ardabil, Iran
Background: The aim of this study was to provide a suitable system for disposal of hospital waste and design and construction of a safe device for infectious waste using a combination of chemical and mechanical methods.
Methods: This research is a laboratory study and based on the existing problems, design and construction of a decontamination device for hospital infectious waste was performed by combination of chemical and mechanical methods in a closed reactor. To determine the appropriate mixture of different compounds of sodium hydroxide with lime and sodium carbonate with lime, three treatments were selected and used.
Results: The results of this study showed that the decontamination waste device by chemical and mechanical methods was effective in eliminating 98% of bacterial, fungal, and viral contaminants. The results showed that the neutralization rate for total bacterial contamination of the coliform, pathogenic viruses, Escherichia, Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella, and Shigella using a 30% ratio was related to the chemical composition of lime and sodium hydroxide, lime and sodium carbonate, respectively. In the designed device, the best temperature, humidity and pH conditions were determined to be 15°C, 45% and 12.8, respectively.
Conclusion: The results of the decontaminated waste tests revealed that the simultaneous application of physical and chemical methods can be used as a safe and suitable alternative in infectious waste disposal systems.
- Farshad A, Gholami H, Farzadkia M, Mirkazemi R, Kermani M. The safety of non-incineration waste disposal devices in four hospitals of Tehran. International journal of occupational and environmental health. 2014; 20(3):258-63..
- Gomez E, Rani DA, Cheeseman CR, Deegan D, Wise M, Boccaccini AR. Thermal plasma technology for the treatment of wastes: a critical review. Journal of hazardous materials. 2009; 161(2-3):614-26.
- Jamal AJ, Pantelidis R, Sawicki R, Li AX, Chiu W, Morrison D, Marshman J, Baqi M, Richardson D, McGeer AJ, Borgia S. Standard versus combined chemical, mechanical, and heat decontamination of hospital drains harboring carbapenemase-producing organisms (CPOs): A randomized controlled trial. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology. 2021; 8:1-4.
- Chartier Y, editor. Safe management of wastes from health-care activities. World Health Organization; 2014.
- Tsakona M, Anagnostopoulou E, Gidarakos E. Hospital waste management and toxicity evaluation: a case study. Waste management. 2007; 27(7):912-20..
- Zimba Letho TY, Lhamo C, Limbu CB, Yoezer S, Jamtsho T, Chhetri P, Tshering D. Awareness and practice of medical waste management among healthcare providers in National Referral Hospital. PLoS ONE. 2021; 16(1).
- Yousefi, Z. and Valizadeh, M., 2010. Evaluation on applied non-burning and medical waste sterilization methods in Mazandaran Province. In 13th National Conference on Environmental Health. Iran: Kerman University of Medical Sciences. (in Persian)
- Salkin IF. Conventional and alternative technologies for the treatment of infectious waste. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management. 2003; 5(1):0009-12.
- Riyanto OS, Purnomo A, Rahayu YK, Wahyudi A. Medical Waste Management: The Need For Effective Regulation of The Minister of Environment And Forestry In Indonesia. International Journal of Science, Technology & Management. 2021; 2(1):281-8.
- Golkowski C, Shea R, Greene J, Golkowski M, Ye D, Allen R, Parker B, Makarov S, Ertel JR, inventors; Sterifre Medical, Inc., assignee. DEVICES, SYSTEMS, AND METHODS FOR STERILIZATION, DISINFECTION, SANITIZATION AND DECONTAMINATION. United States patent application US 16/758,779. 2021 Jan 28.
- Aghapour P, Nabizadeh R, Nouri J, Monavari M, Yaghmaeian K. Analysis of the health and environmental status of sterilizers in hospital waste management: a case study of hospitals in Tehran. Waste management & research. 2013; 31(3):333-7.
- Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Disinfection, sterilization, and control of hospital waste. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's principles and practice of infectious diseases. 2015:3294.
- Ferdowsi A, Ferdosi M, Mehrani Z, Narenjkar P. Certain hospital waste management practices in Isfahan, Iran. International journal of preventive medicine. 2012; 3(Suppl1):S176.
- Rajendra A. Bio-Medical Waste Management in the Local Planning Area of Mysore City. Int J Adv Res. 2014; 2(7):951-5.
- Taghipour H, Alizadeh M, Dehghanzadeh R, Farshchian MR, Ganbari M, Shakerkhatibi M. Performance of on-site Medical waste disinfection equipment in hospitals of Tabriz, Iran. Health promotion perspectives. 2016; 6(4):202.
- Jonidi A, Jafaripour AR, Farzadkia M. Hospital solid waste management in Qom hospitals. Journal of School of Public Health & Institute of Public Health Research. 2010; 8(2).
- Rutala WA, Weber DJ, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America. Guideline for disinfection and sterilization of prion-contaminated medical instruments. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31(2):107-7.
- Rutala WA, Stiegel MM, Sarubbi FA. Decontamination of laboratory microbiological waste by steam sterilization. Applied and environmental microbiology. 1982; 43(6):1311-6.
- Mosaferi M, Ghanbari Ghozikli M, Ghouchani M, Amini Tabook F, Heybati B (2013) Investigate situation of medical wastes treatment devices in hospitals of the East Azarbaijan province. 16th National Conference on Environmental Health, Iran, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. (in Persian)
- Navaei M, Fallah F (2012) Design and Manufacture of Hospital and Laboratory Infectious Waste Safety Equipment. In: First Meeting of Research, Development and Technology Managers, Tehran, Parsian Trade Conference.
- Fahiminia M, Taherian E, Khazaei M, PAIDARI SN, ARSANG JS. Monitoring, Verification, and Treatment of Infectious Wastes and Their Optimal Management in the Hospitals of Qom City, Iran. 2016: 75-84.
- Saber ma'ash N, Abolfathi M, Khanjani F. Management of medical wastes in Gilan hospitals with an emphasis on protecting public health and environment. In16th National Conference on Environmental Health. Iran: Tabriz 2013. (in Persian)
- Ferdowsi A, Ferdosi M, Mehrani MJ. Incineration or autoclave? a comparative study in Isfahan hospitals waste management system (2010). Materia socio-medica. 2013; 25(1):48.
- Jayadi H, Hendrarinata F, Suyanto B, Sunaryo S. Chimney Filter Model Wet Scrubber to Reduce Air Pollutant Emissions on the Incinerator. Health Notions. 2021; 5(2):41-5.
- Van HT, Pham QH, Trinh MV, Bui HM. Treatment of medical solid waste using an Air Flow controlled incinerator. Polish Journal of Chemical Technology. 2020; 22(1):29-34.
- Yatsunthea T, Chaiyat N. A very small power plant–municipal waste of the organic Rankine cycle and incinerator from medical and municipal wastes. Thermal Science and Engineering Progress. 2020; 18:100555.
- Jette LP, Lapierre S. Evaluation of a mechanical/chemical infectious waste disposal system. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology. 1992;13(7):387-93.
- Tiller T, Linscott A. Evaluation of a steam autoclave for sterilizing medical waste at a university health center. American Journal of Infection Control. 2004; 32(3):E9.
- Adu RO, Gyasi SF, Essumang DK, Otabil KB. Medical Waste-Sorting and Management Practices in Five Hospitals in Ghana. Journal of environmental and public health. 2020; 2020.
- Malakootian M. Evaluation Function of Non-Hazardous Non-Incineration Waste Devices in Kerman and Sirjan Hospitals in the Year 2013. Journal of Hospital. 2015; 14(1):77-84.. (in Persian).
- Miranzadeh MB, Sabahi Bidgoli M, Zarfeshani AR, Heidari M. Study on Performance of Infectious Waste Sterilizing Set in Kashan Shahid Beheshti Hospital and Determination of its Optimum Operating Condition. Iranian Journal of Health & Environment. 2012; 4(4). (in Persian)
- Amirfazli M, Safarzadeh S, Samadi Khadem R, Identification, Classification and Management of Industrial Hazardous Waste in Ardabil Province, Anthropogenic Pollution Journal, 2019: 3(2): 29-36
- Sh BT, Gharaian Morshed M, Yahyapour Z. Study on situation of infectious and sharp waste in 12 hospitals of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences in 2012. In16th National Conference on Environmental Health. Iran: Tabriz 2013.