Document Type : Original Article
Deparment of General Psychology, Faculty of Psychology, Islamic Azad University, Arsanjan, Iran
Faculty of Psychology, Islamic Azad University, Arsanjan, Iran
Background: This study evaluated the mediating role of anxiety tolerance and cognitive emotion regulation concerning childhood harms and the occurrence of symptoms of avoidant personality disorder in nurses at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. Methods: 291 nurses at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences participated in this descriptive correlational cross-sectional study in 2020.They were selected by simple cluster sampling. The instruments used in the present study included the Childhood Injury Questionnaire, the Cognitive Emotion Regulation Questionnaire (CERQ), the Millon-3 Clinical Multi-Axis Questionnaire (MCMI-III), and the DTS Distress Tolerance Questionnaire. To analyze the statistical data, the Pearson correlation coefficient method was used by SPSS software version 16, and to determine the fit of the studied model, the structural equation model in AMOS-22 software was used to analyze the path of observable variables. Results: The present study’s findings showed that the childhood physical abuse in the final model indirectly affected nurses’ APD through the adaptive/maladaptive styles of cognitive emotion regulation. Thus, with increased childhood physical abuse, the rate of adaptive cognitive emotion regulation styles of nurses decreased and the rate of maladaptive cognitive emotion regulation styles increased; as a result, their avoidant personality disorder increased. Conclusion: The present study results showed that nurses who were abused or mistreated during childhood were more likely to display signs of APD in their adulthood.
- Grant BF, Hasin DS, Stinson FS, Dawson DA, Chou SP, Ruan WJ, et al. Prevalence, correlates, and disability of personality disorders in the United States: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. The Journal of clinical psychiatry. 2004;65(7):948-58.
- Barlow D, Durand V. Abnormal psychology: An integrative approach: Nelson Education; 2011.
- Avoidant personality disorder 2021 [Available from: https://pezeshket.com/psychological-psychosis/%D8%A7%D8%AE%D8%AA%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%84-%D8%B4%D8%AE%D8%B5%DB%8C%D8%AA-%D8%A7%D8%AC%D8%AA%D9%86%D8%A7%D8%A8%DB%8C/
- Stanhope M, Lancaster J. Foundations of nursing in the community: Community-oriented practice: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2013.
- Miller-Perrin CL, Perrin RD. Child maltreatment: An introduction: Sage Publications; 2012.
- Hageman TK, Francis AJ, Field AM, Carr SN. Links between childhood experiences and avoidant personality disorder symptomatology. International Journal of Psychology and Psychological 2015;15(1):101-16.
- Wingenfeld K, Spitzer C, Rullkötter N, Löwe B. Borderline personality disorder: hypothalamus pituitary adrenal axis and findings from neuroimaging studies. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2010;35(1):154-70.
- SALEHI A, MAZAHERI Z, AGHAJANI Z, JAHANBAZI B. The role of cognitive emotion regulation strategies in the prediction of depression. 2015.
- Southam-Gerow MA, Kendall PC. Emotion regulation and understanding: Implications for child psychopathology and therapy. Clinical psychology review. 2002;22(2):189-222.
- Burns EE, Jackson JL, Harding HG. Child maltreatment, emotion regulation, and posttraumatic stress: The impact of emotional abuse. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma. 2010;19(8):801-19.
- Gardner TA, Ferreira J, Barlow J, Lees AC, Parry L, Vieira ICG, et al. A social and ecological assessment of tropical land uses at multiple scales: the Sustainable Amazon Network. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 2013;368(1619):2012
- Mertens Y, Yılmaz M, Lobbestael J. Schema modes mediate the effect of emotional abuse in childhood on the differential expression of personality disorders. Child abuse & neglect. 2020;104:104445.
- Bremner JD, Vermetten E, Mazure CM. Development and preliminary psychometric properties of an instrument for the measurement of childhood trauma: the Early Trauma Inventory. Depression and anxiety. 2000;12(1):1-12.
- Jeon J-R, Lee E-H, Lee S-W, Jeong E-g, Kim J-H, Lee D, et al. The early trauma inventory self report-short form: psychometric properties of the Korean version. Psychiatry investigation. 2012;9(3):229.
- Mashhadi A, Hasani J, Mirdoraghi F. Factor structure, reliability and validity of Persian version of the cognitive emotion regulation questionnaire-children form (CERQ-KP). Journal of Fundamentals of Mental Health. 2012;14(55):59-246.
- Sharifi A, Molavi H, Namdari K. Diagnostic validity of Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory–III. Science and Research in Psychology. 2007;34:27-38.
- Carr S, Francis A. Childhood maltreatment and adult personality disorder symptoms in a non‐clinical sample. Australian Psychologist. 2009;44(3):146-55.
- Bierer LM, Yehuda R, Schmeidler J, Mitropoulou V, New AS, Silverman JM, et al. Abuse and neglect in childhood: relationship to personality disorder diagnoses. CNS spectrums. 2003;8(10):737-54.
- Pourshahriar H, Alizade H, Rajaeinia K. Childhood Emotional Abuse and Borderline Personality Disorder Features: The Mediating Roles of Attachment Style and Emotion Regulation. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2018;24(2):148-63.
- Kuo JR, Khoury JE, Metcalfe R, Fitzpatrick S, Goodwill A. An examination of the relationship between childhood emotional abuse and borderline personality disorder features: The role of difficulties with emotion regulation. Child abuse & neglect. 2015;39:147-55.
- Ghodratollahifard MA, Aminimanesh S, Chinaveh M. Modeling of the Symptom Manifestation of Personality Disorders in Nursing Students and Temporary Nurses within the Human Research Project Based on Childhood Trauma and the Mediating Role of Emotional Cognitive Regulation. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2020;33(123):90-113.
- Kam C-M, Greenberg MT, Bierman KL, Coie JD, Dodge KA, Foster ME, et al. Maternal depressive symptoms and child social preference during the early school years: Mediation by maternal warmth and child emotion regulation. Journal of abnormal child psychology. 2011;39(3):365-77.
- Supplee LH, Skuban EM, Shaw DS, Prout J. Emotion regulation strategies and later externalizing behavior among European American and African American children. Development and psychopathology. 2009;21(2):393.
- Bratec SM, Xie X, Schmid G, Doll A, Schilbach L, Zimmer C, et al. Cognitive emotion regulation enhances aversive prediction error activity while reducing emotional responses. NeuroImage. 2015; 123:138-48