Document Type : Original Article
Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center, Department of Cardiology, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Cardiovascular Diseases Research Center, Department of Community Medicine, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Cellular and Molecular Research Center, Department of Pharmacology, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Health Center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences (BUMS), Birjand, Iran
Background: Obesity is one of the most public health challenges in the 21st century, which has increased in most countries during the last decade. This study aimed to determine factors affecting the prevalence of obesity, overweight, and central obesity among urban adults referred to Birjand health centers in 2017. Methods: In this cross-sectional study, we investigated the data of all individuals who were registered in the Integrated health application system of Birjand (SIB) from April 2016 until March 2017 by census method. A checklist was designed to include the participants’ demographic characteristics, weight, height, and waist circumference. After coordinating with the health department of Birjand University of Medical Sciences, the authors logged in to the SIB system, collected and entered the data into the checklist. Then, the authors analyzed data using chi-square, independent sample T-test, and ANOVA tests by SPSS-22 software. Results: In the present study, 10,000 people participated. Their average age was of 44.3±11.8 years. The majority were females 7190 (71.9%) out of which 4827 (48.3%)were in the age group of 30 to 40 years old. The prevalence of overweight, obesity, and central obesity in urban adults who registered in the SIB system in Birjand was 3539 (35.4%), 1968 (19.7%), and 4847 (48.5%), respectively. These features for women were significantly higher than men in all age groups. Conclusion: These findings revealed that obesity and abdominal obesity were high in urban adults in Birjand, which requires immediate intervention to improve the obesity status.
- Esteghamati A, Etemad K, Koohpayehzadeh J, Abbasi M, Meysamie A, Noshad S, et al. Trends in the prevalence of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in association with obesity in Iran: 2005–2011. Diabetes research and clinical practice. 2014;103(2):319-27.
- Hales CM, Fryar CD, Carroll MD, Freedman DS, Ogden CL. Trends in obesity and severe obesity prevalence in US youth and adults by sex and age, 2007-2008 to 2015-2016. Jama. 2018;319(16):1723-5.
- Jafari-Adli S, Jouyandeh Z, Qorbani M, Soroush A, Larijani B, Hasani-Ranjbar S. Prevalence of obesity and overweight in adults and children in Iran; a systematic review. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders. 2014;13(1):121.
- Marinou K, Tousoulis D, Antonopoulos AS, Stefanadi E, Stefanadis C. Obesity and cardiovascular disease: from pathophysiology to risk stratification. International journal of cardiology. 2010;138(1):3-8.
- Gill T. Epidemiology and health impact of obesity: an Asia Pacific perspective. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2006;15(Suppl):3-14.
- Fruh SM. Obesity: Risk factors, complications, and strategies for sustainable long-term weight management. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2017;29(S1):S3-S14.
- Silva AO, Silva MV, Pereira LKN, Feitosa WMN, Ritti-Dias RM, Diniz PRB, et al. Association between general and abdominal obesity with high blood pressure: difference between genders. Jornal de Pediatria. 2016;92(2):174-80.
- Smith KB, Smith MS. Obesity Statistics. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2016;43(1):121-35.
- Hales CM, Carroll MD, Fryar CD, Ogden CL. Prevalence of obesity among adults and youth: United States, 2015-2016: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics; 2017.
- Zhang L, Wang Z, Wang X, Chen Z, Shao L, Tian Y, Zheng C, Li S, Zhu M, Gao R. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in China: results from a cross-sectional study of 441 thousand adults, 2012–2015. Obesity research & clinical practice. 2020 Mar 1;14(2):119-26.
- Hemmingsson E, Ekblom Ö, Kallings LV, Andersson G, Wallin P, Söderling J, Blom V, Ekblom B, Ekblom-Bak E. Prevalence and time trends of overweight, obesity and severe obesity in 447,925 Swedish adults, 1995–2017. Scandinavian journal of public health. 2020 Apr 30
- Omar SM, Taha Z, Hassan AA, Al-Wutayd O, Adam I. Prevalence and factors associated with overweight and central obesity among adults in the Eastern Sudan. PloS one. 2020 Apr 30;15(4):e0232624
- Bagheri M, Najafipour H, Saberi S, Farokhi MS, Amirzadeh R, Mirzazadeh A. Epidemiological update on prevalence and incidence of overweight and obesity in adults in Southeastern Iran: findings from KERCADRS. East Mediterr Health J. 2021.
- Djalalinia S, Saeedi Moghaddam S, Sheidaei A, Rezaei N, Naghibi Iravani SS, Modirian M, Zokaei H, Yoosefi M, Gohari K, Kousha A, Abdi Z. Patterns of obesity and overweight in the Iranian population: findings of STEPs 2016. Frontiers in endocrinology. 2020 Feb 26;11:42
- Apovian CM. Obesity: definition, comorbidities, causes, and burden. Am J Manag Care. 2016;22(7 Suppl):s176-85.
- Rahmani A, Sayehmiri K, Asadollahi K, Sarokhani D, Islami F, Sarokhani M. Investigation of the Prevalence of Obesity in Iran: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Study. Acta Med Iran. 2015;53(10):596-607.
- Hu L, Huang X, You C, Li J, Hong K, Li P, et al. Prevalence of overweight, obesity, abdominal obesity and obesity-related risk factors in southern China. PloS one. 2017;12(9:e0183934).
- Zapata ME, del Mar Bibiloni M, Tur JA. Prevalence of overweight, obesity, abdominal-obesity and short stature of adult population of Rosario, Argentina. Nutricion hospitalaria. 2016;33(5).
- Jan Mohamed HJB, Yap RWK, Loy SL, Norris SA, Biesma R, Aagaard-Hansen J. Prevalence and determinants of overweight, obesity, and type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults in Malaysia. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health. 2015;27(2):123-35.
- Gallus S, Lugo A, Murisic B, Bosetti C, Boffetta P, La Vecchia C. Overweight and obesity in 16 European countries. European journal of nutrition. 2015;54(5):679-89.
- Sadeghi-Bazargani H, Jafarzadeh H, Fallah M, Hekmat S, Bashiri J, Hosseingolizadeh G, et al. Risk factor investigation for cardiovascular health through WHO STEPS approach in Ardabil, Iran. Vascular health and risk management. 2011;7:417.
- Hajian K, Hiedari B. Prevalence of abdominal obesity in a population aged 20 to 70 years in urban Mazandaran (northeran Iran, 2004). Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2006;8(2):147-56.
- Ayatollahi S, Ghoreshizadeh Z. Prevalence of obesity and overweight among adults in Iran. Obesity reviews. 2010;11(5):335-7.
- Hajian‐Tilaki K, Heidari B. Prevalence of obesity, central obesity and the associated factors in urban population aged 20–70 years, in the north of Iran: a population‐based study and regression approach. Obesity reviews. 2007;8(1):3-10.
- Urszula S, Micek A, Waśkiewicz A, Bielecki W, Drygas W, Janion M, et al. „Prevalence of general and abdominal obesity and overweight among adults in Poland. Results of the WOBASZ II study (2013–2014) and comparison with the WOBASZ study (2003–2005)”. Polish Archives of Internal Medicine. 2016;126(9):662-71.
- Veghari G, Sedaghat M, Joshaghani H, Hoseini A, Niknajad F, Angizeh A, et al. The prevalence and associated factors of central obesity in Northern Iran. 2010.
- Taheri F, Chahkandi T, Kazemi T, Namakin K, Zardast M, Bijari B. Prevalence of Abdominal obesity in adolescents 2012, Birjand, East of Iran. International journal of preventive medicine. 2014;5(9):1198.
- Orces CH, Montalvan M, Tettamanti D. Prevalence of abdominal obesity and its association with cardio metabolic risk factors among older adults in Ecuador. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews. 2017;11:S727-S33