Document Type : Short Communication
Health Promotion Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
1Health Promotion Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Background: COVID-19 has become a global problem. In this case study, the experiences gained from disease control in rural areas are reported. Methods: An observational study was done in 2020 in Sistan and Balochestan, the largest province with most rural areas in the southeast of Iran. Results: After identification of the first patient of Covid-19 in a rural area, three measures were taken including: 1. Diagnosis, screening and treatment of the disease (Incident command post was established and the village was completely quarantined, etc.; 2. Intersectoral coordination for epidemiological management (limiting traffic for people and any gathering); and 3. Identification of any Covid-19 positive cases. The results of these measures showed that after quarantining the village and performing the mentioned actions, the number of patients decreased, and the disease was controlled. Conclusion: Quarantine of the contaminated rural area and people’s traffic routes is one of the most important measures in controlling Covid-19.
- Abbasi M, Hashemi-Shahri SM, Ansari-Moghaddam A, Khammarnia M, Najafi F, Setoodehzadeh F. Infodemic in pandemic of COVID-19. Shiraz E Medical Journal. 2020;21(12):1-2.
- Hashemi-Shahri SM, Barfar E, Ansari-Moghaddam A, Khammarnia M, Setoodehzadeh F, Okati-Aliabad H. Economic Consequences of COVID-19 in the Middle East and North Africa Region Countries. Journal of Advances in Medical and Biomedical Research. 2020;28(131):304-6.
- Hashemi-Shahri SM, Khammarnia M, Ansari-Moghaddam A, Setoodehzadeh F, Okati-Aliabad H, Peyvand M. Sources of news as a necessity for improving community health literacy about COVID-19. Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran. 2020;34:63.
- https://who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019. 2020.
- Atalan A. Is the lockdown important to prevent the COVID-19 pandemic? Effects on psychology, environment and economy-perspective. Annals of medicine and surgery. 2020;56:38-42.
- Khammarnia M, Amani Z, Hajmohammadi M, Ansari-Moghadam A, Eslahi M. A survey of Iron supplementation consumption and its related factors in high school students in Southeast Iran, 2015. The Malaysian journal of medical sciences: MJMS. 2016;23(5):57.
- Khammarnia M, Ghiasvand H, Javadi F, Safdari Adimi F. Equity in the Distribution of Health Resources: A Case Study in Southeast Iran. Shiraz E-Medical Journal. 2021(In Press).
- Sardar T, Nadim SS, Rana S, Chattopadhyay J. Assessment of lockdown effect in some states and overall India: A predictive mathematical study on COVID-19 outbreak. Chaos, Solitons & Fractals. 2020;139:110078.
- Cauchemez S, Kiem CT, Paireau J, Rolland P, Fontanet A. Lockdown impact on COVID-19 epidemics in regions across metropolitan France. The Lancet. 2020;396(10257):1068-9.
- Di Domenico L, Pullano G, Sabbatini CE, Boëlle P-Y, Colizza V. Impact of lockdown on COVID-19 epidemic in Île-de-France and possible exit strategies. BMC medicine. 2020;18(1):1-13.
- Lau H, Khosrawipour V, Kocbach P, Mikolajczyk A, Schubert J, Bania J, et al. The positive impact of lockdown in Wuhan on containing the COVID-19 outbreak in China. Journal of travel medicine. 2020;27(3):taaa037.
- Kolakowsky-Hayner SA, Goldin Y, Kingsley K, Alzueta E, Arango-Lasprilla JC, Perrin PB, et al. Psychosocial Impacts of the COVID-19 Quarantine: A Study of Gender Differences in 59 Countries. Medicina. 2021;57(8):789.