Document Type : Original Article
Master of Clinical Psychology, Islamic Azad University, Boroujerd Branch, Boroujerd, Iran
Master of Curriculum Planning, Islamic Azad University, Marvdasht Branch, Marvdasht, Iran
Background: L ife s kills h elp t he i ndividuals i n d ifferent situations to communicate with others desirably and appropriately and to learn how to access social services, environment, and participation in life-making decisions and activities. The aim of this study was to investigate the level of attention to life skills in the social sciences curriculum of elementary schools from the perspective of teachers in Sothern Iran, Shiraz, in the academic year 2017-2018.
Methods: In this descriptive-analytical cross-sectional study, we selected 315 fourth, fifth, and sixth grade primary school teachers in Shiraz by stratified random sampling method. A researchermade questionnaire with two dimensions of purpose and content of the curriculum with 26 questions was used. Subjects were asked to rate their views on each of the questions based on a five-point Likert scale. The results were analyzed through onesample t-test, independent t-test, and ANOVA analysis using SPSS22 software.
Results: Based on the results, the educators believed that the level of attention to life skills in the goals and content of the curriculum was above average (P=0.001). Also, there was no significant difference between the views of male and female teachers on the level of attention to life skills in the social sciences curriculum in terms of objectives (P=0.793) and content (P=0.484).
Conclusion: Since the main purpose of education is to help students adapt to different living environments, the development of applied life skills curricula is essential for all students.
- Rahayu RI, Mohammad Huda A, Sonhadji A, Utaya S. Life skills curriculum planning on Higher Education based on Islamic boarding schools. 2019.
- Ahghar G, Eftekhari A. The content analysis of social sciences studies’ textbook of the eighth grade (the First Grade of High School) based on the components of citizenship education. European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences: Proceedings. 2016;5(3 (s):pp. 315-24.
- Jamalnia S. Investigating restless leg syndrome and its severity in nursing students. Nursing development in health. 2018;8(2):25-30.
- Mehramiz S, Akbary borng M, Rostami Nejad MA. Understanding teacher’s Innovative behavior based on their irrational beliefs and systems thinking.2018; 7(3):195-216.
- Hemphill MA, Gordon B, Wright PM. Sports as a passport to success: life skill integration in a positive youth development program. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy. 2019;24(4):390-401.
- Saravanakumar A. Life Skill Education through Lifelong Learning: Lulu. com; 2020.
- Wiegele TC. Biology and the social sciences: An emerging revolution: Routledge; 2019.
- Lee JY, Ham OK, Oh HS, Lee EJ, Ko Y, Kim B. Effects of life skill training on the school violence attitudes and behavior among elementary school children. The Journal of School Nursing. 2020:1059840520934183.
- Yarali J,Shavakhi A, Arizi F. Review of social and communication skills in social textbooks curriculum (content analysis. Education and Training.2008;93:191-222.
- Dehghani M, Hosseini nasb S, Hosseinpour A. Astudy of Holy Prophet's tradition in primary and middle education curriculm of social sciences according to life skills. Quarterly Journal of Educational Innovations.2011;10(4):7-32.
- Mirjalili SMA, Abari AAF, Gholizadeh A, Yarmohammadian MH. Analysis of the Status of Socialization Variables in the Iran High School Textbooks with Emphasis on Motahari's Thoughts. International Education Studies. 2016;9(11):76-81.
- Mehta R. “Hustling” in film school as socialization for early career work in media industries. Poetics. 2017;63:22-32.
- Gholtash A, Fayazbakhsh H, Farokhinejad P, Mohammadjani S.Investigating progressive citizenship education approach in social studies textbooks in iranian middle schools. Research in curriculum planning.2012;9(33):58-70.
- Hermens N, Super S, Verkooijen KT, Koelen MA. A systematic review of life skill development through sports programs serving socially vulnerable youth. Research quarterly for exercise and sport. 2017;88(4):408-24.
- Kendellen K, Camiré M. Examining the life skill development and transfer experiences of former high school athletes. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 2017;15(4):395-408.
- Prajapati R, Sharma B, Sharma D. Significance of life skills education. Contemporary Issues in Education Research (CIER). 2017;10(1):1-6.
- Asadollahi F, GHasemizad A, Dehghani Y.Analysis of the sixth grade social studies textbook contents on the basis of the components of the fundamental reform document(national identity, moral, life rules and skills).Research in curriculum planning.2016;23(13):79-88.