Document Type : Original Article
Master of Clinical Psychology, Islamic Azad University, Marvdasht Branch, Marvdasht, Iran
Background: One of the most stressful experiences for any family is managing a child with a disability, disorder, or chronic illness. The present study was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of acceptance and commitment-based therapy on psychological flexibility and resilience among mothers with autistic children in Shiraz.
Methods: This is a quasi-experimental pretest-posttest study with a control group. The statistical population of the present study included mothers with autistic children referring to the autism community in Shiraz city at 1398. According to the semiexperimental design and the criteria for research, a sample of 36 patients (each group of 18) was selected randomly. Samples were randomly assigned to two experimental and control groups. The experimental group received 8 sessions of “acceptance and commitment therapy”. The instrument for collecting information included the Cognitive Flexibility Questionnaire (CFI) and Connor & Davidson Resilience Questionnaire. Data were analyzed through SPSS software using covariance.
Results: The results showed that Commitment-based Therapy is effective in increasing the mental flexibility and resilience of mothers of children with autism (P=0.001).
Conclusion: Based on the findings, it can be concluded that acceptance and commitment therapy is effective in improving the mental health of mothers with childhood autism.
- Kuhlthau K, Payakachat N, Delahaye J, Hurson J, Pyne JM, Kovacs E, et al. Quality of life for parents of children with autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2014;8(10):1339-50.
- Costa AP, Steffgen G, Ferring D. Contributors to well-being and stress in parents of children with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2017;37:61-72.
- Waizbard-Bartov E, Yehonatan-Schori M, Golan O. Personal growth experiences of parents to children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of autism and developmental disorders. 2019;49(4):1330-41.
- Vernhet C, Dellapiazza F, Blanc N, Cousson-Gélie F, Miot S, Roeyers H, et al. Coping strategies of parents of children with autism spectrum disorder: A systematic review. European child & adolescent psychiatry. 2019;28(6):747-58.
- Schnabel A, Youssef GJ, Hallford DJ, Hartley EJ, McGillivray JA, Stewart M, et al. Psychopathology in parents of children with autism spectrum disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence. Autism. 2020;24(1):26-40.
- Bagaiolo LF, Mari JdJ, Bordini D, Ribeiro TC, Martone MCC, Caetano SC, et al. Procedures and compliance of a video modeling applied behavior analysis intervention for Brazilian parents of children with autism spectrum disorders. Autism. 2017;21(5):603-10.
- Ku B, Stinson JD, MacDonald M. Parental behavior comparisons between parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and parents of children without Autism Spectrum Disorder: A meta-analysis. Journal of Child and Family Studies. 2019;28(6):1445-60.
- Chan KKS, Lam CB. Self-stigma among parents of children with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2018;48:44-52.
- Lim N, O’Reilly M, Sigafoos J, Lancioni GE, Sanchez NJ. A review of barriers experienced by immigrant parents of children with autism when accessing services. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 2020:1-7.
- Moyer DN, Page AR, McMakin DQ, Murrell AR, Lester EG, Walker HA. The impact of acceptance and commitment therapy on positive parenting strategies among parents who have experienced relationship violence. Journal of family violence. 2018;33(4):269-79.
- Tavakoli M. Mozhgan. The Role of Cognitive Fatigue on Perfectionism, Psychological Flexibility and Stress Coping Strategie. Journal of Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences. 2015;5(2):111-26.
- Dennis JP, Vander Wal JS. The cognitive flexibility inventory: Instrument development and estimates of reliability and validity. Cognitive therapy and research. 2010;34(3):241-53.
- Boersma K, Håkanson A, Salomonsson E, Johansson I. Compassion focused therapy to counteract shame, self-criticism and isolation. A replicated single case experimental study for individuals with social anxiety. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy. 2015;45(2):89-98.
- Braehler C, Gumley A, Harper J, Wallace S, Norrie J, Gilbert P. Exploring change processes in compassion focused therapy in psychosis: Results of a feasibility randomized controlled trial. British Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2013;52(2):199-214.
- Andersen B, Rasmussen PH. Transdiagnostic group therapy for people with self-critic and low self esteem, based on compassion focused therapy principles. Journal of Compassionate Health Care. 2017;4(1):1-11.
- Sheikholeslami A, Mohammadi N, Seyyed Esmaeili Qomi N. Comparison of parental stress, happiness and cognitive flexibility of mothers with mentally retarded children and learning disabilities. Learning Disabilities. 2016;5(4):25-42.
- Kobayashi T. Effects of sense of coherence on depressive symptoms after employment in the Japan Self-Defense Force among male young adults. [Nihon koshu eisei zasshi] Japanese journal of public health. 2017;64(3):150-5.
- Meredith LS, Sherbourne CD, Gaillot SJ, Hansell L, Ritschard HV, Parker AM, et al. Promoting psychological resilience in the US military. Rand health quarterly. 2011;1(2).
- Jamalnia S, Javanmardifard S, Akbari H, Sadeghi E, Bijani M. Association between cognitive impairment and blood pressure among patients with type ii diabetes mellitus in Southern Iran. Diabetes, metabolic syndrome and obesity: targets and therapy. 2020;13:289.
- Poole JC, Dobson KS, Pusch D. Childhood adversity and adult depression: the protective role of psychological resilience. Child abuse & neglect. 2017;64:89-100.
- Weiss JA, Cappadocia MC, MacMullin JA, Viecili M, Lunsky Y. The impact of child problem behaviors of children with ASD on parent mental health: The mediating role of acceptance and empowerment. Autism. 2012;16(3):261-74.
- Jamalnia S, Javanmardifard S, Najafi Z. The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Self-Efficacy in Type II Diabetes Patients. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Obesity. 2019;11(2):106-11.
- Hayes SC, Pistorello J, Levin ME. Acceptance and commitment therapy as a unified model of behavior change. The Counseling Psychologist. 2012;40(7):976-1002.