Document Type : Original Article
Department of Occupational Health and Safety Engineering, Faculty of Health, Qom University of Medical Sciences, Qom, Iran
Department of Occupational Health and Safety Engineering, Faculty of Health, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Health, Qom University of Medical Sciences, Qom, Iran
Background: Safety culture can be a good indicator of safety performance which can contribute to the formation of the employee safety behaviors. Therefore, recognizing the dimensions of safety culture and their effect on the employee safety behaviors could be a useful step in the management of occupational accidents. As such, this study was conducted in order to investigate the relationship between safety culture dimensions with employee safety behaviors and accidents, in 2019.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted on 315 employees in 19 different industries in one of the central provinces of Iran. Data collection tools included the safety culture and safety behavior questionnaires. Data were analyzed in IBM SPSS 22.0, using independent T-test, logistic regression, multiple linear regressions, and Factor Analysis.
Results: The results showed that safety culture had a multidimensional structure, and all of its dimensions had a positive and significant correlation with safety behaviors (P<0.001). In addition, safety culture had a significant inverse correlation with accidents (P<0.05).
Conclusion: Management commitment to safety is a key factor in the improvement of employee safety behavior. To reduce accidents and safety problems, it is recommended that the management should focus adequately on the safety policies and procedures.
- Kalteh HO, Mortazavi SB, Mohammadi E, Salesi M. The relationship between safety culture and safety climate and safety performance: a systematic review. International journal of occupational safety and ergonomics. 2019:1-11.
- Le Coze JC. How safety culture can make us think. Safety science. 2019;118:221-9.
- Alla Y, Yousefi H, Mohammadfam I, Nasrolahi A. A review of studies in the field of evaluation of industrial safety culture & safety climate in Iran. International Journal of Occupational Hygiene. 2020;12(1).
- Aliabadi MM, Darvishi E, Shahidi R, Ghasemi F, Mahdinia M. Explanation and prediction of accidents using the path analysis approach in industrial units: The effect of safety performance and climate. Work. 2020;66(3):617-24.
- Alarcón LF, Acuña D, Diethelm S, Pellicer E. Strategies for improving safety performance in construction firms. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2016;94:107-18.
- Mohammadfam I, Kamalinia M, Momeni M, Golmohammadi R, Hamidi Y, Soltanian A. Evaluation of the quality of occupational health and safety management systems based on key performance indicators in certified organizations. Safety and health at work. 2017;8(2):156-61.
- mahdinia m, arsanqjang s, sadeghi a, malakouti j, karimi a. Development and validation of a questionnaire for safety behavior assessment. Iran Occupational Health Journal. 2016;13(2):92-102.
- Jääskeläinen A, Tappura S, Pirhonen J, editors. Maturity analysis of safety performance measurement. International Conference on Human Systems Engineering and Design: Future Trends and Applications; 2019: Springer.
- Chen M, Luo M, Zhang Y, Chen Y, editors. A framework to quantitatively assess safety performance for civil aviation organization. International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction; 2019: Springer.
- Bunner J, Prem R, Korunka C. How work intensification relates to organization-level safety performance: the mediating roles of safety climate, safety motivation, and safety knowledge. Frontiers in psychology. 2018;9:2575.
- Sultana S, Andersen BS, Haugen S. Identifying safety indicators for safety performance measurement using a system engineering approach. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 2019;128:107-20.
- Cooper MD, Phillips RA. Exploratory analysis of the safety climate and safety behavior relationship. Journal of safety research. 2004;35(5):497-512.
- Nouri Parkestani H, Alimohammadi I, Arghami S, Ghohari MR, Farshad AA. Assessment of reliability and validity of a new safety culture questionnaire. Iran Occupational Health Journal. 2010;7(1):18-25.
- Vinodkumar M, Bhasi M. A study on the impact of management system certification on safety management. Safety science. 2011;49(3):498-507.
- Mohammadfam I, Mahdinia M, Soltanzadeh A, Aliabadi MM, Soltanian AR. A path analysis model of individual variables predicting safety behavior and human error: The mediating effect of situation awareness. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 2021;84:103144.
- Parkestani HN, Alimohammadi I, Arghami S, Ghohari M, Farshad A. Assessment of reliability and validity of a new safety culture questionnaire. Iran Occupational Health. 2010;7(1):18-25.
- Gao Y, Fan Y, Wang J, Li X, Pei J. The mediating role of safety management practices in process safety culture in the Chinese oil industry. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 2019;57:223-30.
- Ye X, Ren S, Li X, Wang Z. The mediating role of psychological capital between perceived management commitment and safety behavior. Journal of safety research. 2020;72:29-40.
- Mashi MS, Subramaniam C, Johari J. The effect of management commitment to safety, and safety communication and feedback on safety behavior of nurses: the moderating role of consideration of future safety consequences. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. 2020;31(20):2565-94.
- Morrow SL, Koves GK, Barnes VE. Exploring the relationship between safety culture and safety performance in US nuclear power operations. Safety Science. 2014;69:37-47.
- Uryan Y. Organizational Safety Culture and Individual Safety Behavior: A Case Study of the Turkish National Police Aviation Department. Florida: University of Central Florida Orlando; 2010.
- Dwomoh G, Owusu EE, Addo M. Impact of occupational health and safety policies on employees’ performance in the Ghana’s timber industry: Evidence from Lumber and Logs Limited. International Journal of Education and Research. 2013;1(12):1-14.
- Hadjimanolis A, Boustras G. Health and safety policies and work attitudes in Cypriot companies. Safety science. 2013;52:50-6.
- Hassan AMAZ, Esmail JM. A Conceptual Framework for Upgrading Safety Performance by Influence Safety Training, Management Commitment to Safety and Work Environment: Jordanian Hospitals. International Journal of Business and Social Research. 2018;8(07):25-35.
- Monazzam M, Soltanzadeh A. The Relationship between the Worker's Safety Attitude and the Registered Accidents. Journal of Research in Health Sciences. 2009;9(1):17-20.
- Ghasemi F, Mirzaei M, Mahdinia M, Darvishi E, Shahidi R. The role of personal commitment to safety in shaping safety performance of front-line employees: a case study in small manufacturing industries. Iranian Journal of Ergonomics. 2018;6(2):16-23.
- Soltanzadeh A, Mohammadfam I, Moghimbeygi A, Ghiasvand R. Exploring causal factors on the severity rate of occupational accidents in construction worksites. International journal of civil engineering. 2017;15(7):959-65.
- Milad DJ, Ahmad S, Hamidreza H, Heidar M, Abolfazl M. Modeling causal factors of occupational accidents in chemical industries: A 10-year field study in Iran. Iranian Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. 2021;40(1):357-65.
- Mohammadfam I, Aliabadi MM, Soltanian AR, Mahdinia M. Modeling the causes-effect relationships among major accident predictors based on a fuzzy multi-criteria decision-making method. Work. 2020(Preprint):1-9.
- Soltanzadeh A, Heidari Hr, Mahdinia M, Mohammadi H, Mohammadbeigi A, Mohammadfam I. Path analysis of occupational injuries based on the structural equation modeling approach: a retrospective study in the construction industry. Iran Occupational Health. 2019;16(3):47-57.
- Zhang J, Fu J, Hao H, Fu G, Nie F, Zhang W. Root causes of coal mine accidents: Characteristics of safety culture deficiencies based on accident statistics. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. 2020;136:78-91.
- amini m, alimohammadi i, jahanihashemi h, yakke fallah d. The relationship between the prevalence of accidents and safety culture in two detergents and cleaners Companies in 1391. Iran Occupational Health. 2013;10(6):93-105.
- Shuen YS, Wahab SRA. The Mediating Effect of Safety Culture on Safety Communication and Human Factor Accident at the Workplace. Asian Social Science. 2016;12(12).